It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:15 pm 
Site Administration

The SOX is all long gone and replaced by LED, on the A1055 in Edmonton in north London  (behind the GSV camera),  but these MA90s still survive. Note the wall mounted disused  "hockey stick".

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm 
Random avatar

If you want to find lots of SOX Lincolnshire is a good place. For example Heckington, as Beta fives do remain but in the past months, 5 have been replaced to TRT Aspect Eco as they where in bad condition.

Some remain, there's one outside my house and the other day they re-lamped its old Osram lamp with a new 35w Philips SOX plus and also did the 2 Mi26s on the road to the right of my house. These also have new Selec Westire  8480 Photocells too.

Originally the Beta 5 had a Zodion SS3 or SS2 and the Mi26s had Royce Thompson cells.

On main roads, Great Hale, Little Hale and Helpringham have lots of SOX and small amount of LED apart from the main Road in Heckington.

But, new TRT LED lanterns are being used as casual replacements in areas like Heckington.

One layby has Revo Hyperons 90 and 135W and Ubris Evolos 150/250w and Ubris Sapphires. I think the Philips MA90s have been turned off now on some sleeved CU concrete columns.

In Helpringham a Thorn Beta 5 Mk15 is attached to a Stainton Concrete with  part night switching.  Water ingress is causing rust but replacement with new lanterns is happened quite slowly.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
The A27 south coast trunk road used to be exclusively lit by SOX, but its practically all gone. There is none left in Hampshire, but in West Sussex, a small section east of Chichester, by the Portfield roundabout still survives.

Further east at Worthing its all gone as well, except for this MA60 which has escaped, probably helped by the tree.

In East Sussex, a stretch a couple of miles long with both central reservation, slip road and verge examples still survives at the Hove and Brighton interchanges.

This is the scene at the A2038 junction for Hove.

This is the scene at the A23 interchange for Brighton.

All these images are from a dash cam. I can't see these installations surviving much longer.

5 months on, all the SOX has gone in the first image replaced by 2nd hand ZX3s. The MA60 at Worthing hidden by a tree is still there though.  :)

Whilst in the other images, almost every column now has one SOX lantern replaced by a 2nd hand ZX3 or a LED lantern - presumably they are fitted in batches once the SOX lamps burn to extinction.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 pm 
Formerly Paspie

According to GSV new tubular columns with LED lights have been installed at the eastern end of the Brighton Bypass. If precedence is anything to go by then I'd except the same to happen (eventually) to other parts of the A27 soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:39 pm 
Random avatar

In Scunthorpe, there's a road, a suburban road leading off a main one called Gadwall Way and it still has all of it's SOX lights in place, although only 5 out of 7 of them are working, the other two don't seem to light up any more.

Was tempted to report the malfunction, but I bet the council would probably leave them until they get round to replacing all 7 of them with Urbis Axia 2s they've used on most other roads, given that the road still appears to be adequately lit by the remaining 5 SOX lights.