It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:04 pm 
Site Administration

sotonsteve wrote:
I took a night drive by Middle Wallop and Over Wallop last night. There are a total of 10 mercury lanterns surviving.

Thorn Beta 79s 1 2 3

Phosco P235s 1 2

GEC Z5590s 1 2 3 4 5

Two of the GEC Z5590s are not working, which are No.2 and No.3 on the photos above (Station Road short bracket and the newly discovered long bracket on Pound Road. This will likely not be a good omen for the remaining mercury stock. No.2 was one that phosco152 forgot to mention, but there is actually a fifth surviving Z5590 which is No.5 down a footpath. As for the Phoscos, these are remote gear and so P235s. With regards the Beta 79s, there used to be some in the area latterly fitted with CDO-TT lamps, but it seems all these got replaced with the latest LED replacements whereas the mercury ones were left.

The new LED lighting is excessively bright, with the 2nd phase ASD Diamond Highway LED lanterns being especially overpowering compared with the 1st phase DW Windsor Kirium Pro Mini LED lanterns. Far brighter than what would have been installed if they had signed up their parish lighting for renewal with the PFI. But at least it is variety.

In the last week there has been another cull of mercury lighting in the Wallops.

Both P235s are still there as are the Beta 79s. Of the Z5590s, 1 and 2 in Sotonsteve's post have been replaced with LED, no 4 is still there. I wasn't able to check on no 5. The real surprise is no 3, it has gone to be replaced with this!

Given the optics of LED lanterns can be configured for "long reach" from the kerb, I have no idea why this "special order" bracket was chosen, given this will have increased costs. Perhaps the lighting engineer has a sense of humour....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:25 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
sotonsteve wrote:
I took a night drive by Middle Wallop and Over Wallop last night. There are a total of 10 mercury lanterns surviving.

Thorn Beta 79s 1 2 3

Phosco P235s 1 2

GEC Z5590s 1 2 3 4 5

Two of the GEC Z5590s are not working, which are No.2 and No.3 on the photos above (Station Road short bracket and the newly discovered long bracket on Pound Road. This will likely not be a good omen for the remaining mercury stock. No.2 was one that phosco152 forgot to mention, but there is actually a fifth surviving Z5590 which is No.5 down a footpath. As for the Phoscos, these are remote gear and so P235s. With regards the Beta 79s, there used to be some in the area latterly fitted with CDO-TT lamps, but it seems all these got replaced with the latest LED replacements whereas the mercury ones were left.

The new LED lighting is excessively bright, with the 2nd phase ASD Diamond Highway LED lanterns being especially overpowering compared with the 1st phase DW Windsor Kirium Pro Mini LED lanterns. Far brighter than what would have been installed if they had signed up their parish lighting for renewal with the PFI. But at least it is variety.

In the last week there has been another cull of mercury lighting in the Wallops.

Both P235s are still there as are the Beta 79s. Of the Z5590s, 1 and 2 in Sotonsteve's post have been replaced with LED, no 4 is still there. I wasn't able to check on no 5. The real surprise is no 3, it has gone to be replaced with this!

Given the optics of LED lanterns can be configured for "long reach" from the kerb, I have no idea why this "special order" bracket was chosen, given this will have increased costs. Perhaps the lighting engineer has a sense of humour....

So the one on the main road has finally gone. As for the other two that got replaced, if I recall these weren't lit up when I last went past, so they probably got replaced before the others because of this.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:21 pm 
Site Administration

Installation 5 in sotonsteve's original post still survives here and here.

I had actually missed another Z5590 when I did my original visit in 2014 here. Needless to say it isn't there anymore being replaced with a new bracket and LED lantern, at least a couple of years ago given that the galvanised finish on the bracket has dulled down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:47 am 
Site Administration

In Seaford east Sussex, this has now gone.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm 
Random avatar

Noticed from the bus on my way to work last week that this Alpha 3 in this car wash in Ilford/Barking has now gone, as the car wash is being knocked down and presumably having flats built on it. According to the 2008 Streetview of the garage, there were two other Alpha 3s on the other side of the compound, but they were both removed some time between 2008 and 2012 (they're gone in the 2012 Streetview) due to a garage being built next door.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:16 pm 
Site Administration

How has this managed to survive into the 3rd decade of the 21st century, and not be damaged?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:48 pm 
Random avatar

Seen several great survivors still clinging on in 2023 all in one work trip today:an XGS103/MI26 and an Eleco HW819 post top in a school called The Forest Academy in Hainault, East London. The Eleco post-top would have been ubiquitous on Redbridge's streets from the 60s up until the mid 90s, but now, unsurprisingly, it is reduced to just the odd survivor here and there on private land.

Seen this GEC post-top a few times recently, in Parklands Primary School in Romford.

Passed this Alpha 3, which curiously lights the grass around a block of flats, in Hainault. Judging by the type of installation, I'd say a garage/car wash once stood here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:46 pm 

Was pleased to see a Thorn Alpha 1 on a concrete column surviving in the West Midlands today.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:56 pm 
Random avatar

Badajos road estate in Aldershot is a private road near an MOD base  and the estate still lit with  Hampshire spec green hockey stick column with Phillips Mi126  :D  https://maps.app.goo.gl/FbZDKgExJkB44zRq7?g_st=ic

Hazlitt close Feltham still has Thorn Beta 5 on concrete columns
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TX9vaWfNEuJvS7pm6?g_st=ic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:54 am 

While browsing street view, I happened to find these Thorn Precints located inside this car park off Tressillian Road in Deals Gateway, which still remain according to the March 2023 street view from Lewisham Way.

Link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/P8D2CySFQ9Uk38Mm7?g_st=ic

Profile  Personal album