It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 am 

Here's an interesting news clip from Milwaukee/Wisconsin in America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsWvcp94kY

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:23 am 

How odd... I just watched that like 10 minutes ago, log in here and it's linked to!

there's the BBC news item about dimmable streetlights down south, and has good pics of the famous mass public installation of pretty much every streetlight made at the time - including a trial Siemens double coventry (basically 4 Kuwait's all welded back to back!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRVcFTUINBQ

unrelated to TV, but a woodpecker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7LHfjH ... re=related
It's called a Flicker, and I think they do this a lot:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0v-CukK ... re=related (I just love the sound on this one!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnnSwXi ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNtZN9wZ ... re=related (Interesting lantern and funny sound again)
I think they do it to attract mates, but it'd get annoying if that happened every morning I guess. Plus if you got a lantern that was removed from service then you'd have loads of beak marks on the top of it!
Final thought for this bit - now we know what their drumming sounds like on a normal sized light, I wonder what it'd sound like on a GEC ZD10547 flying saucer?!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 am 
Site Administration

That TV clip and the 4 way Kuwait was discussed months ago. The thread for that is here, and further discussion should be carried on in that thread.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 am 

I thought it had been on the yahoo group rather than here, as it was quite a while ago... but whatever.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:56 pm 

Stage Seven of the Tour Of Britain cycling race takes place tomorrow, with the starting gun being fired in Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk and ending in... well, where else but Colchester in Essex. So the TV highlights programme should certainly be worth a watch if you have ITV4 on your Freeview, or if you are fortunate enough to have a satellite package displaying the live race.

Several interesting towns are passed on the way, about a third of them in Suffolk where 'Suffolk Green' lanterns will no doubt be commonplace (the route also passes through Great Cornard in Suffolk, the "home of the Beta Nine"), with the other two-thirds of the towns being in SOX-dominated Essex.

Most of Essex has escaped major investment in its street lighting in recent decades, so expect to see plenty of old Eleco, GEC, Phosco and Thorn lanterns on sleeved concrete columns from the 1950s, S&L columns from the 1960s / Fabrikat columns from the 1970s and Petitjean octagonal columns from the 1980s. When the route reaches Colchester, these Alpha Ones at 10 metres and this Eleco with the V-shaped bowl, as photographed by Phosco152, are on the cycling route.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:06 pm 
Site Administration

Another one from "Kirsty and Phil", somewhere in London, possibly a Gemini or MI80 and a MI36 on large curved brackets.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Another one from "Kirsty and Phil", somewhere in London, possibly a Gemini or MI80 and a MI36 on large curved brackets.

That's the London borough of Haringey, probably Muswell Hill. Very few of these installations exist due to the increasing abundance of black ZX1/U1s and now Evolos. I've always considered the lanterns in your screenshot to be Davis GR551s, but I could be wrong. Most are casually replaced with Philips XGS104s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:34 am 
Site Administration

Yep could be those as well, shot is really too far away to be make a positive ID and unfortunately was literally on screen for a second.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Administration

From BBC2, The Special Relationship, newsreel footage from the 1970/80s believed to be from Northern Ireland.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Administration

Ch4's Sarah Beeney was trying to rescue a Georgian house last night in my old haunt of Fareham in Hampshire.

The Victorian (and I believe listed) columns in the High Street made it into shot.

Here they are in the past, courtesy of Bygone Fareham, Pamela Moore, Phillimore, 1990. ISBN 0 85033 736 4.

Nearby, some street paving/furniture improvements have seen these modern replicas installed. The columns are made by Urbis and are flanged mounted using anchor bolts rather than the more normal planted columns. This was done as there are too many services in the pavement for a deep foundation.

Profile  Personal album