It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 am 

York city council are playing the blame game again... this time dogs are being blamed for peeing against lamp posts and causing them to corrode.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/5063177 ... lampposts/

personally, I think they're taking the pi**, because all new columns are galvanised and then painted too, which will then not corrode. It's only the old columns that are deteriorating, and those are past their service life anyway (The S&L ones are probably from the 1960's or earlier, and the Revo Monarchs are from the 30's or 40's). This is just general expiration of well-used columns, and should really be expected.

PS, in the picture, that green fence is the border of the new site, with the access road being on the other side of it.... just for those who want to know!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am 

At least we know where it is now. So whenever the next Depot Visit will be we'll know roughly where it is, just look for a green fence.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:11 pm 

I have the contact details for Sheffield's Streetlighting department. Apparently we have to call Street Force who deal with it, so hopefully we can get some lanterns and possibly brackets from Sheffield.

Their number is 0114 273 4567.

You have to mention that you collect the old lanterns / streetlights as part of a private collection, incase their wondering.

So when's the next depot visit ? ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm 

Fair few Alpha 1's and other goodies like Atlas Beta 5's in Sheffield. Well worth phoning them and explaining what we do.

Don't say we just collect streetlights. I mention that they get stripped and restored as part of a private collection. Also mention that we have transport and I suggest no more than 2 people go in my van that far.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:06 pm 

I'll give them a call tommorow to see what lanterns are in stock, you may never know there could be an Alpha 1 or an Eleco HW in the skips there.

If we do, do the trip to the Sheffield Depot what we'll do is meet up at say Meadowhall Interchange Park and Ride car park, then go straight to the depot depending on how far it is. Unless we can come up with a better plan.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 am 

I was going to suggest similar for if we decided to go to either sheffield or rotherham for any particular reason. It's probably best that Stelmer goes in the van and both USL and Myself train it to a nearby station.

Probably worth mentioning to them that we don't expect stuff for nowt.

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
At least we know where it is now. So whenever the next Depot Visit will be we'll know roughly where it is, just look for a green fence.

Well, I already knew where it was anyway... as I was waiting around in the area a few weeks ago and a car came by with Des in (who gave me a wave) so I just watched where he went!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 am 

mazeteam wrote:
I was going to suggest similar for if we decided to go to either sheffield or rotherham for any particular reason. It's probably best that Stelmer goes in the van and both USL and Myself train it to a nearby station.

Probably worth mentioning to them that we don't expect stuff for nowt.

Ah so mention that we'll slip them a fiver if we can find anything decent.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 am 

yeah, or possibly more if some good condition rare/semi-rare stuff comes up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 pm 

I believe that an older streetlight in the road behind my street may still be timeclock controlled. For those wanting to have a look in Streetview, the lantern is a top entry GEC Z9536 ally canopy on a concrete column with swan neck, located outside number 2 Yearsley Grove (by the school). I originally thought that it may be controlled by a dodgy photocell because it's on by day and off at night... however there have been some recent power cuts along the street (one of which had the school closed for the whole day) and so I believe that there have been enough cuts to shift the clock switching pattern back somewhere between 8-12 hours.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 pm 

Is that swanneck column a Stanton? There are identical ones here that used to have swannecks until the mid 80's when they were all sleeved.