It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm 

Lampman wrote:
They keep putting it back then, I thought it would start late last year.

Yep, it keeps being put back. At one stage they were expecting the PFI to start in April 2009, then they delayed it to late summer, and then Christmas, then "early in the new year" and now April, so it is about a year late overall. However, the contracts have been signed, so it is highly likely that the PFI will start in April. When we will start seeing columns is another matter. Generally in street lighting PFI projects the first year is quite quiet, with replacements suddenly accelerating in the second year. Nevertheless, the number of replacements in the first year should be noticeably larger than annual replacements over the past few years.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Administration

The Sapphire in Portchester was a casual. It seems they are being installed as well as/instead of ZX3s at the moment.

SEC have a new larger depot which is being fitted out and I expect the PFI to start on April 1st this year.

Given the bulk of the replacements will be done in the first 5 years I expect progress to be very rapid. They will need to do the equivalent of relighting Pompey in a single year - that took 5 years on and off.

When I last asked SEC, the work plan had yet to be defined - area, side or main road 1st. I suspect they will go by area and blitz everything in one go. That makes more efficient use of the workforce than doing say main road first and then coming back to do side road later.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:55 am 

Well, it appears that Mallatite will be the column supplier for the South Coast PFI:

Quote:
Hill & Smith has won a contract by SEC (Southern Electric Contracting) under the South Coast Street Lighting PFI, in partnership with Caparo Steel.

The five year contract is due to commence in April 2010 and entails the supply of approximately 100,000 lighting columns by Hill & Smith's subsidiary Mallatite and represents a contract value of 10m.

The 225m, 25-year South Coast Street Lighting PFI is the largest street lighting PFI project in the UK and includes lighting services for Hampshire County Council, Southampton City Council and West Sussex County Council.

The work involves replacement and maintenance of streetlights, illuminated signs and bollards.

This success follows on from the award last year of an 8m five year contract for 72,000 lighting columns, under the Surrey Street Lighting PFI Scheme, to Hill & Smith's subsidiary Mallatite.

Several similar major schemes are also being tendered for.

Note that the Surrey street lighting PFI is also mentioned. The figure noted in the article for the number of columns supplied to the South Coast PFI is 100k. That figure seems quite small. Now, apparently across the three areas there are a total of around 250k items. This may also include signlights and bollards though.

Here is another link:

Quote:
Hampshire CC - all street lighting installed before 1990
West Sussex CC - 80% of 64,000 street lights
Southampton City Council - 27,000 street light units

From this I think we can safely assume that all columns installed before 1990 will be replaced in Hampshire, and that 80% of West Sussex's columns will be replaced. The Southampton figure is peculiar, because that figure of 27k, I think, includes signlights and illuminated bollards, because back in about 2005 there were only about 22k street lights. And I cannot see Southampton replacing their entire lighting stock. I think Southampton will be replacing something like 50% of their columns under the first five years of the PFI. Percentage wise, I think the figure for Hampshire is something like 55-60%. If you add up Southampton and West Sussex's expected replacements, subtracting this number of columns from 100k would suggest that Hampshire would only get something like 37-38k replacement columns, which seems to be a very small figure.

Previously I heard that around 150k out of 250k street lighting items (including bollards and signlights?) would be replaced or upgraded during the first five years of the PFI.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Administration

I have been told by an unofficial but highly reliable source that the Iridium has been chosen as the main road lantern for the South Coast PFI and that a "WRTL CFL lantern" which is probably the Libra has been chosen for side roads.

Meanwhile on the Isle of Wight, the Highways PFI which includes replacement of the island's lighting was also confirmed today as going ahead.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
I have been told by an unofficial but highly reliable source that the Iridium has been chosen as the main road lantern for the South Coast PFI and that a "WRTL CFL lantern" which is probably the Libra has been chosen for side roads.

Mixing up of two different lantern manufacturers? "WRTL CFL lantern" is 99.9% definitely the Libra, and that time we visited the depot a couple of times back they had a box of these lanterns. As for the Iridium, must we?

I suppose the Iridium was kind of inevitable. Tay Valley Lighting also have the Stoke-on-Trent, Leeds and Newcastle contracts, and in Stoke and Leeds they are big on post-top Iridiums.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Administration

As part of the PFI old "modern(ish)" lanterns will be broken up for recycling - as you would expect. However the contract allows for components from these lanterns to be reused to maintain lanterns that have yet to be replaced by the PFI. Seems sensible as existing lanterns that the PFI will replace could be in use for up to 5 years and also there are the lanterns that will not be replaced by the PFI to be maintained. New staff are being taken on for this recycling/reuse task. I have also heard that staff from other contractors have been able to obtain transfers over to SEC.

Under SECs current contract which is about to expire, new parts must be fitted rather than used, or a new lantern must be fitted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 pm 

I found a bit of information on a Lib Dem website suggesting that in Hampshire 75k columns will be replaced under the PFI bulk replacements, which they say is 55% of Hampshire's columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 am 

According to Southampton's Daily Echo newspaper, Southampton will be unveiling its street lighting replacement plans later today, whatever that means. A council press release, a small exhibition, or perhaps a pre-PFI taster in the form of a new PFI-spec installation somewhere?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:43 pm 
Random avatar

Why, oh why the Iridium?

The whole South Coast (Dorset, Hants, Southampton, Portsmouth & West Sussex) will be littered by more horrible Iridiums! Good choice, well done SEC (!)

Is the Isle of Wight included in the South Coast scheme or has its own? Is East Sussex included in the South Coast scheme or it is only West Sussex of the two Sussexs?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 am 

The Isle of Wight has a separate Highways PFI which includes street lighting, and it is only West Sussex getting a PFI.

Profile  Personal album