It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:24 pm 
Random avatar

In Southend, more SOX has bitten the dust, in favour of LED. However, LED does a better job of lighting the road than SOX and its brightness is like daylight.

Here in Castle Point though, SOX is slowly being replaced in various areas of the borough, the lanterns are mainly Beta 2/5s.  :cry: Their replacements are SON P567s  installed post top.  :roll:. If you cant't install LED, at least try Metal Halide or Cosmo, or anything but SON!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 pm 
Random avatar

Since last Friday, more LED has appeared in Southend, mainly around the airport, and so more SON has bitten the dust ( :D ) . Some columns holding SGS203s had the LED lantern retrofitted to them, and while concrete appears to be surviving, some columns have had new sleeves installed. These have replaced Alpha 8s. However, these new sleeves have very short brackets and the LED lantern does not suit them at all. They would, IMO, have been better off installing new columns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:01 pm 

Some unexpected news from the greensward on Clacton sea front, which until a few days ago was the home of about 1.5 miles' worth of ultra-rare top-entry GEC Z8430CMs (please correct me if the top entry version had a different code). The lanterns have been removed as the cast iron decorative brackets they are installed on pose a risk to public health:

Daily Gazette, 24th December 2014

The appropriately-named Revo Clactons (as detailed on Simon Cornwell's web site) have been a feature of the clifftop path at Clacton sea front for around 80 years, and were available in two-arm and three-arm variants. The clifftop path saw only the two-arm variant installed. Photograph taken in August 2013.

According to Mikey Ashworth's Flickr site, the Revo Clactons originally held Revo C6200 lanterns, but these gave way to the top-entry GEC Z8430CMs in the 1960s. This close-up photo, also from August 2013, reveals the poor condition of the installation's decorative brackets after many years of exposure to the coastal elements.

Early postcards show three-arm Revo Clactons with Revo C6200 lanterns installed in the town centre. This postcard published by M. & L. of Clacton is not dated.

Later postcards show the time when new technology was beginning to threaten the survival of the Revo C6200 lanterns. This postcard, by Ernest Joyce & Co. and posted on 1st July 1964, shows the lanterns missing their distinctive bowls. The postcard also shows a side-entry GEC Z8430CM on a newly-installed cast iron column in the background.

The Revo C6200s in this postcard also outlived an installation of fluorescent three-eighties, which predated the introduction of GEC Z8430CMs in the town centre.

Shortly after the photograph for the above postcard was taken, this junction in the town centre was re-lit and the Revo Clacton and Revo C6200s were replaced with a Concrete Utilities Avenue 3DNN concrete column with a side-entry GEC Z8430CM. At this time (the mid-1960s), all the town centre's Z8430CMs were running mercury.

Although the newspaper report states that the lighting on the sea front hasn't worked for at least 15 years, my memory cannot confirm this. This length of time came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I would have imagined the council (Tendring District Council in this case, not Essex County Council) would have kept them in light due to the greensward being up to 30m wide in some places, meaning the lighting on the adjacent road along the sea front would not stretch far enough to light the popular and well-used clifftop path.

Thankfully a dig around in my own photo archive revealed this photograph of the clifftop path in January 1995. The Revo Clactons and top-entry GEC Z8430CMs are shown in light. As the lanterns had always ran mercury, I think the rogue SON lamp persuaded me to stop and take this photograph.

With the exception of the rogue SON lamp, this is how Clacton's clifftop path should be lit! For Clacton's sake, I do hope we'll see this sight again one day, but I concede that the mercury lighting won't be returning. A suitable while-light alternative would be fine.

Clacton used to have an extensive installation of both top-entry and side-entry GEC Z8430CMs throughout the town centre and stretching along the sea front from Butlins to the west to Holland-on-Sea to the east. This D. Constance Ltd. postcard posted in August 1970 shows King's Parade, which runs the length of the sea front at Holland-on-Sea. Top-entry GEC Z8430CMs are shown installed on distinctively green Concrete Utilities Avenue 3DNN concrete columns.

Concrete Utilities Avenue 3D concrete columns, again with top-entry GEC Z8430CMs were installed at the other end of town next to Butlins. This Sapphire postcard was posted in August 1973.

In the 1960s, the local council invested heavily in the GEC Z8430CM when it re-lit the town centre and the sea front road, but the Z8430CMs have suffered two big culls since then. The first cull was in the 1970s when the oil crisis meant many of the lanterns on the sea front road were replaced with Thorn Alpha Nines, ELECO GR100s and ELECO GR110s. This undated D. Constance Ltd. postcard shows the same location as the previous postcard, but the Z8430CMs have been replaced with GR110s on the original columns, and GR100s on casual replacements. With the exception of the clifftop path, the retained Z8430CMs were converted to SON.

The second cull happened in 2006 and 2007 when the town centre was regenerated. As part of the works, the town centre was re-lit with the DW Windsor Rio running metal halide.

Thankfully, the town centre re-lighting work in 2006/2007 wasn't as extensive as the re-lighting of the town centre in the 1960s, and there is now a significant "doughnut ring" of SON-running surviving Z8430CMs surrounding the town centre. These are still going strong and have been converted to run on Essex County Council's Central Management System with the addition of a Telensa telecell. This photograph was taken in October 2013.

Coincidentally, many of the town's holiday parks also installed Z8430CMs on 8m Concrete Utilities Avenue 3DNN and 10m New Highway columns in the 1960s. Thankfully, many of these survive, and there is a particularly good example of the former still going strong in nearby Walton-on-the-Naze (from zedfive's Flickr site).

Last edited by David on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:46 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Fabulous post David and sad news about their demise. I take it there must have been a few near-misses for this 'reactive' measure to have taken place e.g. one of the brackets falling off onto the ground?

I hope that your January 1995 photograph makes its way into a future POTS competition.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:55 pm 

One thing I can't help question is why they weren't in service. Were they switched off to discourage people from walking somewhere where mugging was an issue, or switched off due to wiring being unsafe, or simply not maintained due to lack of funds? One thing is for certain, if street lighting is not kept in service it deteriorates far more rapidly, much like comparing a car used daily with a car that has been garaged for a year. The lack of attention in recent years will have contributed to the structural problems.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:10 am 
Site Administration

Yet another load of absolute tosh in the name of "elf and safety". The council have (mandatory) civil liability insurance to cover any injury to the public from failures of their own infrastructure, yet they still spout on about H&S.

As the pictures show, each part of the decorative metal work is held to the column in multiple places so the chances of a single piece corroding through and falling are practically non existent.

The columns are probably late Victorian yet have withstood the 1987 "hurricane" as well as all of last winter's storms without any damage.

The decorative metal work although with some flaking paint and surface corrosion, looks to be in good condition on the example photographed. Cast iron has a low corrosion propagation rate (slower than mild steel) and the level of deterioration looks to be minimal and only to be expected after decades since the last repaint.

I very much doubt that the "survey" was done at bracket level on each column - more likely photographs were taken from the ground.

Even worse is the "vandalism" in the way the metal work has been removed in sections by cutting through with an angle grinder, which is a non precision cutting tool. 2-3mm of metal will have been lost in each cut making it impossible to dimensionally accurately reassemble the parts - not that cast iron can be successfully welded back together anyway. It would have been far better to cut the entire top of the column off, removing the bracket section with a crane, so that the metal work could be repaired intact. A discrete sleeve and internal tube could then be used to reattach it at a later date.

All the council now have is a skip full of cut up sections, which probably haven't been catalouged from individual columns - so just a jumble of what is now in effect scrap.

I would like to be proved wrong, but I doubt the original metal work will now ever be repaired and refitted. More than likely replacement steel "faux heritage" brackets will be fitted with "Albany" type lanterns.

In this day and age there is really no excuse for such blatant destruction of the town's heritage.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:46 am 

Well it's not as if councils and street lighting contractors are full of highly skilled lighting engineers who take great pride in their work like in the old days. If it's anything like the crews the PFIs tend to use, it's cheap foreign labour that just gets the job sort of done and leaves a trail of tidying up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:10 pm 

Alex wrote:
I take it there must have been a few near-misses for this 'reactive' measure to have taken place e.g. one of the brackets falling off onto the ground?
I must admit that I have not seen any near-misses being reported in the local newspapers. Having said that, there are two bits missing from the column I photographed last year - the finial that should top the column and a missing section of bracket on the right hand side under the last fixing point to the column. I imagine bits were missing from the other lamp posts too.

sotonsteve wrote:
One thing I can't help question is why they weren't in service. Were they switched off to discourage people from walking somewhere where mugging was an issue, or switched off due to wiring being unsafe, or simply not maintained due to lack of funds?
I'm guessing that as the columns have aged they have become more difficult to maintain and comparatively more expensive to run (especially as they were still running mercury). Furthermore, tourists who visit Clacton these days tend to be day-trippers who return home in the evening, as opposed to staying for a week or two as in Clacton's heyday, so lighting on the clifftop path is arguably not as essential as it once was.

Having said that, it was still a surprise to hear they were out-of-service, whether intentionally or unintentionally. I'm sure the columns closest to the town centre are still in service, or were in service until very recently, as a small number to the west of the pier were retrofitted with "heritage" SON lanterns when the sea front gardens were remodelled in the late 1990s.

Phosco152 wrote:
Even worse is the "vandalism" in the way the metal work has been removed in sections by cutting through with an angle grinder, which is a non precision cutting tool. 2-3mm of metal will have been lost in each cut making it impossible to dimensionally accurately reassemble the parts - not that cast iron can be successfully welded back together anyway.

All the council now have is a skip full of cut up sections, which probably haven't been catalouged from individual columns - so just a jumble of what is now in effect scrap.

In this day and age there is really no excuse for such blatant destruction of the town's heritage.
Talking of vandalism, the same council briefly became the laughing stock of the country a few months ago when it interpreted Banksy's newest mural - estimated to be worth around £400,000 - as vandalism, and promptly scrubbed it out.

Phosco152 wrote:
The columns are probably late Victorian yet have withstood the 1987 "hurricane" as well as all of last winter's storms without any damage.
One thing that was destroyed in the 1987 hurricane were the Clacton illuminations. Although never on a par with Blackpool's illuminations, or more locally Great Yarmouth's or Southend's illuminations, the giant internally-lit coloured shapes installed on many of the lamp columns along the sea front road were severely damaged by the high winds, and any that weren't brought down on that fateful night were promptly removed. Coloured festoon lighting secured to the profile of the columns soldiered on for a short while, although it wasn't the same as proper illuminations, and these were eventually replaced with rope lights spiral-wound around the columns, which frankly looked awful. Today, Clacton has no illuminations.

The newspaper report about the removal of the clifftop path's lanterns is now online.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10 pm 

Last month, David wrote:
Thankfully a dig around in my own photo archive revealed this photograph of the clifftop path in January 1995. The Revo Clactons and top-entry GEC Z8430CMs are shown in light. As the lanterns had always ran mercury, I think the rogue SON lamp persuaded me to stop and take this photograph.
The same scene, on Clacton's East Greensward, today:
Photograph taken 20 years later, in January 2015. All the photographs below were taken in January and February 2015.

Clacton's West Greensward (the subject of the original newspaper report above) fares no better.

But to my great surprise, the ornate brackets and ultra-rare top-entry GEC Z8430CM lanterns on three of the historic columns have escaped the disc cutter of doom, and survive for now:

Three of the columns located in and around the Clacton Pavilion entertainment and amusement centre, to the immediate east of Clacton Pier, retain their ornate brackets and Z8430CMs (where lanterns were still surviving in the first place).

Sadly, I think the reason they survive for now is that they are currently inaccessible to the cherry picker while the Clacton Pavilion and surrounding area undergo redevelopment for the 2015 summer season. But that shouldn't be an excuse to publish a few more photos of the remnant of a once magnificent installation:

There is now only one unspoilt installation left (i.e. no missing lanterns and no missing bowls), and it is to the left side of Pier Gap as you approach Clacton Pier from the town centre.

A view from underneath the one remaining complete installation.

Another view of the three remaining installations which for now have escaped being "put into storage". Their close proximity to the Clacton Pavilion has probably saved their skin for the time being.

A night-time view of the above scene reveals that none of the remaining mercury-running top-entry GEC Z8430CMs are in light.

The last remaining complete installation at night.

As described in my original post on the subject, the gardens to the immediate west of Clacton Pier were revamped many years ago, and the Z8430CMs were replaced with heritage lanterns.

A night-time view of the above scene shows these columns in light, but running SON lanterns.

A close up view of the heritage lanterns, which we may see used again when the recently removed brackets are refurbished and reinstalled by the local council.

And finally, a close-up photograph of one of the column bases reveals the column's manufacturer to be Johnson and Phillips Ltd. of Charlton, London, not Revo as I originally thought.

An advert from The Telegraphic Journal and Electrical Review, 26 December 1890. The original image and accompanying citation are published on this web site.

Johnson and Phillips Ltd. were active from the 1870s to the 1970s, and there are pictures and postcards of Clacton indicating the columns may date from the late-Victorian era, as mentioned earlier by Phosco152. This image from this web site shows the Johnson and Phillips columns prior to the installation of the Revo Clacton brackets and Revo C6200 lanterns, which I imagine happened sometime in the 1930s.

It's sad that Clacton must surely be about to lose the last three of these magnificent installations, and this is likely to be very soon (perhaps as soon as the cherry picker gets unobstructed access to them). So anyone in the Essex or surrounding area wanting to see these ultra-rare top-entry GEC Z8430CMs for themselves ought to do it soon!

Last edited by David on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Administration

Excellent pictures David and good work on tracking down more of their history. One thing that struck me as odd with the original pictures was the flat top of the bracket above the column between the 2 small decorative round finials. It doesn't quite look right.

Then there is this picture after the brackets were removed and 2 odd struts sticking out of the columns.

This image makes clear what has happened. There was originally a decorative copper "hat" on the column. The struts provided the support and the copper wrapped over the flat section of the bracket, no doubt held on by the round decorative finials.

It seems over the years, the maintenance contractors have removed the copper sections - uncharitably perhaps for scrap value - or to allow easier access to the wiring from the main tube to the brackets - but they weren't replaced in the majority of cases.

So not only has the town council allowed the brackets to deteriorate due to lack of maintenance - they may have actually made matters worse by allowing removal of the copper tops - allowing rain and salt spray to enter the top of the columns allowing unnecessary corrosion internally.

Thankfully columns back then were over engineered - especially when made of cast iron. Unfortunately due to history of previous neglect, I don't hold out much hope of a sympathetic restoration or reproduction brackets being fitted.

Profile  Personal album