It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:47 am 
Random avatar

It could well be the case, but I didn't see any with burnt out bulbs so all examples seemed to be functioning. And I should of been more specific the LEDs were in a village just outside of Kendal there was also one in Charlton Village between Langwathby and Penrith. The village also has three Alpha 1s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm 

At the moment Channel 5's "police interceptors" programme is based in Cumbria, and every now and then I keep spotting LED lanterns around, they look like Stela Wides - but I must admit I didn't know they were being installed up there.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:11 am 

Well I finally got back to Rochdale again... despite it seeming as though some greater force was trying to stop me getting there, be it through successive red lights on the way to the train station, getting there and my train being full to the brim (a first for a lunch time service) and no other passengers being allowed on (the second time this has happened in two weeks, different services though), the next train which is normally in 5 minutes ahead of time today decided to be 4 minutes late so I missed the connection at Leeds, then the train I do get at Leeds being a cattle truck then then gets caught on two red signals therefore adding 10 minutes to the already longer-than-it-should-be journey....

My plan had been to check the roads south of the train station, Kirkholt, then Tintern Avenue area.... but a combination of becoming engrossed with what I could get photos of at Kirkholt and how bitterly cold it was put an end to the third part of my plan.

The bad news is all the Wardle Solars on the streets south of the train station are gone... here's Gate Street:
Attachment:
DSC_9877.jpg
DSC_9877.jpg [ 717.83 KiB | Viewed 8907 times ]

The good news is that Kirkholt's lighting stock remains largely untouched... BUT this is changing as several excavation holes are in place for service transfers.
Dean Court (but Hartey Lane is the same):
Attachment:
DSC_9882.jpg
DSC_9882.jpg [ 496.42 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]

Rhodes Crescent has the holes but no changeover yet. Mornington Road and Kew road are the same. A lot of the side streets off Hilltop Drive are the same as well.

As Claire has said, work seems to be focusing on side streets. Daventry Road still has a few columns that haven't got lanterns - they've been like this since last year.
Attachment:
DSC_9886.jpg
DSC_9886.jpg [ 603.86 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]

This does mean the 90W Solar on The Strand still stands proud

Though the reflector is a bit pock-marked:

The one at the bottom of the hill on Balderstone Road is the same. I had been here when just the Solar was lit, but at the point I got my camera out all the other lanterns lit - and I'm not joking either, they all struck at the exact same time without even a few milliseconds delay! Goes to show how well modern photocells can be made.

And now for the really good news:
I've found some more! 6 more to be exact.
4 exist on Kirkway, and 2 on Tavistock Road - all 35W examples, but in differing states of repair.

The following 4 are on Kirkway, and they still work (except the first one, which I didn't see lit when I came past at well gone 6pm).

This one isn't too bad.

This one has the lamp held in place by what looks like a shoe lace!

Lamp held in by string.

These two are on Tavistock Road... when I came past later the whole road was dark - either every column is supplied by the clock from one of the Solar supporting columns, which has either broken or burnt the fuse out, or the supply to the road has been isolated.
2768 2769 2770
I didn't spend as long with these pictures as there were youths around and my hands were about to fall off with the cold!

The only other top entry lantern I have seen is this Eleco (presumed to be a top entry version of the GR100 - presumably the bowl from one would fit this)... the bowl of this one is in a state.
Attachment:
DSC_9974.jpg
DSC_9974.jpg [ 459.65 KiB | Viewed 8907 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_9976.jpg
DSC_9976.jpg [ 349.82 KiB | Viewed 8907 times ]

Here's a Gamma 6 illuminating its replacement:
Attachment:
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg [ 605.86 KiB | Viewed 8907 times ]

Hilltop Drive is all 90W SOX, mainly GR100s... what's also nice is as you go up the hill and look back you also get the SOX of the M62 in the background:
Attachment:
DSC_0052.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg [ 307.53 KiB | Viewed 8907 times ]

Anyway, that's the score. I highly doubt the 35 watters I found today will last more than 2 weeks before removal.... it just depends on how long transfers take. If they're on a special contract like Amey had in York last summer, then these columns will be gone within the next 2 weeks - but if the transfers are on a normal schedule, then it might be 2 months.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:16 pm 

Great work Chris, a good update. I'm pleased to hear that you have located a few more Solar's. I will chase things up this week.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 pm 

Fantastic update Chris, at least we know what's left of these wonderful but exceeding rare lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 am 

Thanks.
I hope to get back there when it's sunny, there's still the ones over on Tintern Avenue area I haven't got daytime photos of yet.

I can't help but wonder just how many of these lanterns are actually left... there might still be a good few around we don't know about. Those smaller ones in Kirkholt had been standing there on my previous visits and I didn't know about them (I even almost went down one of those streets about 2 years ago when I was collecting a pair of bike frames from the area, the house was in Great Gates Lane), and the only thing that kept them out of sight was about 4 houses - I made a random turn and there they were. I've tried dropping the peg man randomly on Streetview and haven't come to any success, but I can't help but think the odd 'wrong turn' here and there might provide results.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 pm 

The Tameside area of Greater Manchester still retains a respectable amount of SOX and other older lanterns... on the border, the descent from Hartshead, there is a mixture of standard columns with working Philips MAs and hockey stick columns which look new but fitted with MAs that have clearly been reused.

In central Manchester, the high mast on Portland Street which illuminates Piccadilly Gardens bus station is now fully LED, each light looking to have between 100-200 LEDs.
Also, the Amey night shift over there is a little bit different than in York - in York the hours were altered from 6pm until 1am instead to being from 2.30pm until 11pm as this had less 'unsociable hours' contained in the shift; the Manchester night shift seems to have a fair amount of unsociable hours, as there was a crew going round the city centre at 4am! :shock:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

In Chester the Arc rot has been setting in on the 'ring road' - the lanterns look out of place. Having Celests instead would line them up with the rather small MA survivors. http://goo.gl/maps/jNbWN

Elsewhere in the city on the City Walls I did see one lantern which appeared to have an LED 'tray' mounted in place of a lamp holder, other lanterns along the stretch of wall were lamped, lamp type is not known. The one shown in the link is also used on the Walls. http://goo.gl/maps/Dl8Sn

Between City Walls Road and Northgate Street on Water Tower Street, WRTL 2600s are in use and some column brackets you can actually touch! http://goo.gl/maps/wnPcL

I think I may have seen some GEC survivors too, but I could be wrong:http://goo.gl/maps/Kgrcq

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 am 

I remember those odd possible GEC lanterns from when I was there, I also took photos of the heritage lanterns from the city walls.... near the racecourse there is an Iridium mounted on a very very short column.

If you walked the full length of the walls, did you spot the sliced 2000? It's on the canal pathway below the walls as it goes round a corner, no streetview image but it's roughly in this area (other side of canal to SV car)
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=about+ ... ,7.26&z=17

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:31 am 
Random avatar

Quote:
If you walked the full length of the walls, did you spot the sliced 2000? It's on the canal pathway below the walls as it goes round a corner, no streetview image but it's roughly in this area (other side of canal to SV car)
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=about+ ... ,7.26&z=17

What did that MA90 double bracket installation behind the camera used to light? There's one MA lighting the road but the other one seems to be lighting a building site! Was there another road where the building site is?