It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:56 pm 
Site Administration

Good news. Do you know if this one is being retained?

Its in a fairly nondescript post war estate,  one of several in that location. Any idea why these columns were used at that time/location, rather than something more conventional? Did post war shortages mean cast iron columns were more readily available than steel?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:02 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:

Looks like good news for your column, Phosco152 - I've seen a list from the council and it's on the list for retention.

The refurbishment programme ended up being delayed by three months because the swan necks didn't fit the old gas columns and they needed to order reducers. Some of the former gaslight columns have now been fully refurbished and repainted and look pretty good. They have been fitted with a new swan neck bracket made by Pudsey Diamond and a VMax lantern, and you can see the new isolating pillar alongside the column in the photo - the programme is underway right now and most of these will be finished in early July.

The Revo columns are following a little behind and I would expect these to be done in July-August - I've just seen one near me that looks complete but it isn't working yet because apparently they need to replace a broken cutout. The column has now been painted. I don't know why Reading went through a phase of installing lots of Revo cast iron columns around the 1960s (perhaps someone else such as Claire might know a bit of the history), but I'm glad they did and it's pleasing that so many still survive in a serviceable condition.

Overall we're pretty happy with the outcome of our campaign - we've managed to save about 50 mostly Victorian-era gas columns and 180 Revo Moseleys, and hopefully these will grace Reading's streets for many years to come. Here are a couple of pictures - one of the column in my avatar after refurbishment and the other of the refurbished Revo Moseley nearby.

Attachments:
File comment: Revo Moseley column refurbished
column2.jpg
column2.jpg [ 130.44 KiB | Viewed 21476 times ]
File comment: HC Goodman Reading gas column refurbished
column1.jpg
column1.jpg [ 234.81 KiB | Viewed 21476 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 am 

Phosco152 wrote:

Its in a fairly nondescript post war estate,  one of several in that location. Any idea why these columns were used at that time/location, rather than something more conventional? Did post war shortages mean cast iron columns were more readily available than steel?

I happened to be down that way this week and took a look. I couldn't find the column in your picture at all - Google Street View shows it but the latest pictures are from 2014, so my best guess is that it's been removed at some point since then. There are three other Revo Moseley columns still standing in that road, and two of them have had new swan necks and VMax lanterns fitted - all three in Canterbury Road round the corner have also got new lanterns.

Nearly all the Revo columns have now been upgraded - I gather the commonest reason why a handful haven't been done yet is that at the time SSE visited they couldn't get access, so any remaining ones should be updated soon. Most of the updated Revo Moseleys haven't been painted yet - I guess the painting programme will resume when the weather improves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:56 pm 
Random avatar

Looks like this was going to be replaced but they forgot about it. New lamppost installed in 2020 but lantern never installed nor connected the Sox was still working a few months back when I visited at night. Amity Road
Reading
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tThwCm5RAn4oPTES9?g_st=ic