It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:21 pm 

The last time I stepped foot in Rochdale was three years and a month ago, I did pop round Rochdale in the town centre to look for some intresting relics but neither myself or my former, Jenny could find any. Tried around Oldham and still couldn't find anything either.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15 am 

I know where most of the Seagulls are located, but I have a feeling there is another Wardle Aurole somewhere other than Ouvert Street - though I don't know quite where.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Wardles in Rochdale:

Wardle lanterns on Yorkshire Street, 1960s

Early Wardle; sodium lantern, Entwistle Road

Early pre-WW2 Wardle installation, Drake Street in late 1950s

Outside the Town Hall, early 1960s

Lord Street

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:10 am 

Here's one of the Wardle Aureoles
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 9,,1,-3.58
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/7900285818/
I only know of 2 in the district (if anybody knows of more please feel free to add them here)... this one and one in Ouvert Street.

There's also these two 135W versions under the M62 at Castleton, which is in the same district as Rochdale
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 8,,1,-23.7
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 8,,1,-7.01
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N0 ... otostream/

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:59 am 

OK folks, I popped across to Rochdale for a few pictures at sunset. Sadly it had gone dark by time I got to Kirkholt so the big Seagulls are pictured in the dark again.

But the main news is quite simple, say hello to the PFI.

Attachment:
File comment: Old and New at Gate Street
DSC_8484.jpg
DSC_8484.jpg [ 282.95 KiB | Viewed 6935 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Old and New at Midhurst Street
DSC_8486.jpg
DSC_8486.jpg [ 319.26 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Midhurst Street
DSC_8490.jpg
DSC_8490.jpg [ 250.26 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Philip Street (north)
DSC_8493.jpg
DSC_8493.jpg [ 399.68 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Philip Street (south). Note the lantern on the corner of Cecil Street - on my last visit this had been a Seagull, but in the 10 months since it has been changed over for a SON lantern - another down the road is the same.
DSC_8501.jpg
DSC_8501.jpg [ 336.14 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Lucknow Street
DSC_8505.jpg
DSC_8505.jpg [ 323.38 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Marigold Street. As with Cecil Street, this had been a Seagull on my previous proper visit 10 months ago, but since then the top entry concrete bracket has had some concrete cut away and this mounted side entry.
DSC_8508.jpg
DSC_8508.jpg [ 331.94 KiB | Viewed 6935 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: New and Old at Ouvert Street... the Wardle Aeurole
DSC_8510.jpg
DSC_8510.jpg [ 528.01 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Kirkholt, The Strand. 90w Seagull with new headless column alongside.
DSC_8524.jpg
DSC_8524.jpg [ 436.94 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Eleco GR150 with a line of new columns, Balderstone Road
DSC_8534.jpg
DSC_8534.jpg [ 265.15 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

I did know about these works when I popped over there briefly a couple of weeks ago. However my trip there was more of a case of doing it because I could as trains were diverted that way and were stopping at Rochdale, it was 'rare mileage' so to speak. The problem last time was I got dropped off right in the middle of some atrocious weather - rain, sleet, hail and a bitter wind - which meant my camera wouldn't work properly but it also went dark about 40 minutes before sunset so my pictures weren't very good. On my last visit, most of the columns were headless - so in 2 weeks only the lanterns have been installed. But it likely means that service transfers are roughly 2 weeks away in the area just south of the train station, with Kirkholt 3-4 weeks away. On the Oldham Road there are one or two new installations that are working, but not many. Also I noted one area where new columns had Sapphires on waiting to be connected.

If you get the chance, I would recommend getting some daytime photos of the Seagulls if you're likely to be in the area before they're gone as this is the last bastion of these ancient antiques. When the PFI is complete, Rochdale will no longer be a SOX haven of the North and as yet I don't know where will replace it with that title.

PLEASE do not contact the council or the PFI contractor regarding these lanterns being saved. This is already being done by a professional enthusiast, and any further contacting the contractor may end up being seen as annoying and wreck any progress that has been made towards saving these wonderful old relics.

Attachments:
File comment: 90w Seagull and new columns at the bottom of Balderstone Road.
DSC_8543.jpg
DSC_8543.jpg [ 614.86 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 pm 

Mazeteam wrote:
If you get the chance, I would recommend getting some daytime photos of the Seagulls if you're likely to be in the area before they're gone as this is the last bastion of these ancient antiques. When the PFI is complete, Rochdale will no longer be a SOX haven of the North and as yet I don't know where will replace it with that title.

Calderdale may gain the title considering that there is a fraction more SOX than SON in the borough. Saying that though certain villages in the Holme Valley could.

Mazeteam wrote:
PLEASE do not contact the council or the PFI contractor regarding these lanterns being saved. This is already being done by a professional enthusiast, and any further contacting the contractor may end up being seen as annoying and wreck any progress that has been made towards saving these wonderful old relics.

I also would like to echo this.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 pm 
Random avatar

Gutted. That's all I can say.  To replace these fine lanterns with soulless Evolos is awful.  I hope they all get saved that's all I can say.  I remember finding this installation, together with that lovely Wardle Aurole.  I always looked forward to getting a job over Rochdale so I can check out what relics are lurking down these side streets.

However, I have been working in the Lake District a lot lately and there are plenty of SOX installations still going strong up there, albeit later variants of the Beta 5 mostly.  I was working in a village called Levens and as I finished a job it was lighting up time and I got a little excited (sad? - maybe.  But when you live in Lancs all you see is dreadful Vectras and day burning 2600s and very little SOX, let alone anything burning MBF......)

Here's a little beauty, not sure what it is though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:20 pm 
Site Administration

Thorn Beta 4.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 pm 
Random avatar

Mazeteam wrote:

I also would like to echo this.

Me too.

Me too.

Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:01 am 

It is a terrible shame to see these going... they are all original to their columns, which says a lot. Whilst one or two have signs of wear and tear (the one in Gate Street has only 1 side of the reflector in tact), they are generally in decent condition for their age. The two 90W ones on Kirkholt have what looks to be surface rusting on the reflector and that's it.... but unless anybody knows any others hiding away, these are the very last 35W and 90W open reflector SOX lanterns illuminating public roads.

BTW, I haven't checked the few to the north of the town yet as that's a further distance to cycle and is uphill.

After all these are gone I will no longer have any reason to get off the train there. Currently I get a strange feeling when I go through Kirkholt, as it was due to me collecting an ebay bid for "project phoenix" (to resurrect my broken bike with parts stripped from what I was buying and build myself a second bike as a backup) that I had got off the bus in the Strand and noticed the old columns and took pictures of them - not noticing until I got home what one of the lanterns happened to be!

--

On a lighter note, Rochdale was only part of my route... as the aim was to get off the train in Rochdale, cycle to Stalybridge via Oldham and Ashton, train to manchester, buy one or two things, then go home. And it was in Oldham I remembered about something I wanted to get pictures of, which is this teeny tiny column (don't know what the lantern is):
Attachment:
DSC_8569.jpg
DSC_8569.jpg [ 692.6 KiB | Viewed 6860 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_8573.jpg
DSC_8573.jpg [ 369.24 KiB | Viewed 6860 times ]

Profile  Personal album