It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 pm 

Carlisle - The Border City.

The city still retains its geared Alpha 3's but many have been replaced by flat glass MRL6's. The Alpha 3's which some are on Botchergate appear to be abandoned because of the nearby 'Heritage' lanterns, these are not Albanies but are similar. The floodlights around the Citadel (castle-like looking thing) these run on SON, not sure what wattage but I am guessing around 400w. There are some post top lanterns along West Walls these too look like heritage lanterns although one column found near to the Cathedral does state AC FORD so this column must have in the past held a swan neck as the other columns have been manufactured by another company.

Heading South East in the city centre, on a side road, it still retains its top entry, deep bowled GEC's (not sure what code it is). Elsewhere in Carlisle I did see some very rusty hockey stick columns holding WTRL 2600's.

Most lanterns run SON with the exception of the GEC's which still run SOX and the heritage columns along Botchergate which run Quartz SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm 

Did you spot the alleyway the goess off one of the main shopping streets, that has post-top wall brackets with WRTL 2600's installed?

Also, you may have noticed that their new lantern of choice for main roads is the Opalo 3.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:43 pm 

I have seen them, they look unusual but they probably have replaced the old DW Windsor setup can't remember what street they were on though as I was walking around in circles for 4 hours looking for some interesting fittings.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 am 

I've been thinking about taking my bike on the train and cycling around... the route would have to be either York-Leeds-Settle-Carlisle or York-Newcastle-Hexham-Carlisle (using Transpennine or Crosscountry), and the problem being is that train times are tight (at Newcastle they don't tie up at all, the train for Carlisle is leaving as my crosscountry train is arriving). I only explored around the central area, and walked around the mound of the castle and over the bridge that goes over the A595.

If you head south along the west coast, you pass by areas lit by Stelas. Around Carnforth I think there are some; In Lancaster, the bridge over the river Lune has an adjacent footpath lit by them; then as you head towards Preston you get streets lit by them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:11 am 

Going via Settle is more scenic as you can see some hidden gems that North Yorks haven't removed, plus Metro has that offer going for £8 provided that you've got a MetroCard which is how I managed to get there. I was debating whether or not if I had enough time to leg it to Harraby to where those MA30's are / were (I did read somewhere that the old Border studios have been torn down, whether or not the MA30's are still there remains unknown as I think they did belong to Border themselves) but decided not to and headed west instead finding that AC Ford column.

The next time I go will be sometime in January 2011 but I will be border hopping (straight to Gretna) and seeing what Gretna, Todhills (if the bus goes through) and Longtown's settlements luminaries have to offer, I real hope that I can find some more MBF installations, even better if they were tungsten.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:38 pm 

Southport - Merseyside Gateway North.

This will surprise everyone, the Southport MetroVick "Fancy Flying Saucer" actually has a birthday as there is a small shield shaped plaque glued to the column. I had no camera so sadly no photos but I did write down what it says, it might be a bit rough because I was running for a train at the time.

It reads: "Southport Corporation Lighting Committee, 2nd June 1953 in celebration of Queen Elizabeth II coronation".

So this lantern is 58 years old and it is still going strong but I did note that the spigot's paint in some places have worn in places but it is still there and the structure is sound. The side streets (I only had time to inspect 4 of them) still retains the old cast iron columns so no replacements as yet - hopefully there won't be any.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:43 am 

Maybe the Fancy Flying Saucer was a custom design by Metrovick for the Coronation.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:05 am 

I wonder if its called the 'MetroVick Coronation 53' because if it was, then the search for its name would be solved. I bet by me saying that, it is called that.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:56 am 

I was thinking of "Southport 53" or something like that... but if you shorten it to So53, then I think there is already a lantern with that name

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:47 pm 

Hmm, I have an idea what we'll call it to avoid confusion. We'll name it either:

[drumroll please]

- Metropolitain Vickers Southport Coronation '53
or
- MetVic SC1953.

that way both names are used.

Profile  Personal album