It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 pm 

When you're dealing with lamp Co, try speaking to Ian, he knows what they have, and haven't got.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:12 am 

As for leak transformers, a lot of them are lying around in column bases, even after the lanterns are long gone. Well, they are in York anyway - as some old Revo Monarch columns round by the Barbican centre have got replacements alongside and the Monarchs have the doors open, big bulky trannys in there.
I'll ask Des when I'm next at the depot if I remember...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:12 am 

Our local depot usually has a couple of leak transformers in the scrap bin hidden under dozens of failed electronic gear units  :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am 

mazeteam wrote:
As for leak transformers, a lot of them are lying around in column bases, even after the lanterns are long gone

sotonsteve wrote:
Our local depot usually has a couple of leak transformers in the scrap bin hidden under dozens of failed electronic gear units :roll:

Cheers guys, and thank you mazeteam for keeping one in mind on your depot visits. It sounds like Colchester should certainly still have a few around then.

Phosco also PM'd me and said he may be able to get hold of one, which is a very kind offer as I really have no idea what I'm looking for! Thankfully LampCo hadn't quite run out of SLI lamps when I put in the order, so it sounds like a conversion is on the cards!

Thank you to everyone for all your help and advice recently. Firstly, I had no idea you could still get hold of SLI lamps in 2009 (although that situation might not last until 2010!), or that the 140w SLI could be run on 90w SOX gear (admittedly the old, harder to get gear), or that the end caps are easy to get hold of because they are the same as on some fluorescent tubes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:47 pm 
Site Administration

Since I assisted sotonsteve in converting his Alpha 5 to SLI, give me a shout if you want a hand. You need the older fluorescent fitting holders which push on rather than the more modern twist on type. I have loads of these spare and will know in the next few weeks about a suitable ballast.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:20 pm 

A short journey from Luton into Dunstable last night revealed that a vast residential area of Dunstable has just been converted from a mish-mash of existing mercuries and SON replacements to WRTL's 18-LED Stela luminaire. Even my friend Steven was impressed, as he lives locally and hadn't noticed the LED street lamps before.

Image from the WRTL web site. Some of Dunstable's streets have, or dare I say it, did have, a far higher proportion of mercury-running Phosco P178s than shown in this example.

Full WRTL publicity article here.

Sadly Steven's street won't be getting the innovative new lanterns. His 35w SOX Eleco GR501s were replaced with 70w SON Urbis ZX1s (I think) a couple of years back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm 
Site Administration

Interesting that they are trying to avoid resiting or new columns and just changing lanterns. I reckon that could have been done in over half of Portsmouth's residential streets especially when in many cases perfectly serviceable and often galvanised columns were replaced with new columns in the same place.

LED lanterns tend to have all the LEDs in a single plane and if there is no bowl like the Stella (although the "baseplate" is curved) then it will be more difficult to achieve the correct light distribution on the ground. I wonder if the Stella used in Dunstable had the LEDS mounted at different angles (or at greater angles if they are already angled) within the baseplate to achieve a wider distribution?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:42 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
LED lanterns tend to have all the LEDs in a single plane and if there is no bowl like the Stella (although the "baseplate" is curved) then it will be more difficult to achieve the correct light distribution on the ground. I wonder if the Stella used in Dunstable had the LEDS mounted at different angles (or at greater angles if they are already angled) within the baseplate to achieve a wider distribution?

Both the Stela Square and Stela Wide have much the same curvature, with the curvature of the underside of the lantern being minimal in both cases, so whether Square or Wide, the LEDs are always shining on the ground at close to right angles, if you see what I mean.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Administration

Which is what I thought. So to get a "decent" light distribution they must be relying on the dome of the LED itself to spread the light, or each "cover" over the LEDs on the Stella must be a lens. Otherwise you would just get a square patch of light on the ground - or perhaps you do!

EDIT: Having just read the brochure, the covers are indeed a lens.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:38 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

David wrote:
Image from the WRTL web site. Some of Dunstable's streets have, or dare I say it, did have, a far higher proportion of mercury-running Phosco P178s than shown in this example.

Mish-mash is definately the best way to describe that road's lighting! Are the lanterns running SON in that image SGS201s/SRL8s? I don't understand why there are P178s in amongst the crowd?

Profile  Personal album