It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 am 

mazeteam wrote:
I wonder if the bowl is/was still in one piece...?

Bizarrely, even though the report states that the crash closed the Colchester-bound lane, it turns out that the felled column was actually on the London-bound side of the road and housed an MA50. So the Alpha Six lives on on borrowed time yet again!

Just to say that I cannot find any news on the internet about the third bidding round of the Street Lighting PFI, which in reality would cost a huge amount of money and would see Essex and Hertfordshire's rich street lighting heritage (including Colchester's 19th century cast iron columns and 20th century tram poles) wiped out within five years.

As well as reading Streetlighting UK from time to time, I also occasionally read the street furniture forum on the other side. On there I spotted a topic that may be able to answer my question in the absence of any media coverage. Eight posts down, a member called RichardA35 posted the results of a Freedom of Information request, which includes some brilliant news for Essex. It's in the form of a Zipped PDF document and well worth a read if your area is threatened by PFI. Sadly, it won't bring back to life all the heritage that has been wiped out by current PFI schemes, or make the existing PFI contractors any better at their jobs :-(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm 

Any chance of linking directly to the document, or putting its contents over here? I don't use the site you have linked to any more because they stole information from this forum without permission.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:18 pm 
Site Administration

The document is fully visible to non members of that forum by clicking David's link and scrolling down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 am 

The thing is that I no longer like to even visit that site on moral grounds.
(I suppose I'll have to make an exception)

EDIT: well it looks like Bryn is still on form! :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:17 pm 

For some reason "the other site's" link doesn't work for me.  :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:45 pm 
Site Administration

Can we keep this post on topic for East Anglia lighting and not to be a discusion about the other forum or if and how to get to that link. If anyone else has problems with the link they should PM the original author of the post.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

When do these SGS204s (and '3s for the sliproads) date back to on the A12? There is a line of them further up towards Colchester too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Administration

They may date to around 1993/4. My sister was at Uni in Colchester back then and I remember a new string of those type of columns being installed where there was no lighting previously. I think they originally had MA sox lanterns on them. Not 100% sure it is the exact same location though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:46 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Back in the 1990s, there were two strings of SGS204s on the way to Ipswich. That was pretty much the only lighting, save the Bricks/MA60s at the Brentwood junction and A2000s at Capel St. Mary (which were originally turtles). Since the 2000s, we've seen the additions of Vectras, ZX3s and Arcs!

I can't imagine them originally holding MA60s if they were installed in 1993/4 as they would have been very short lived! Additionally, I think the mounting height would be wrong for MA60s?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 pm 

From the GSV link MA's do look out of place but I do think that GEC 'Bricks' would have been used along that stretch.

Profile  Personal album