It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Administration

Looks like partly casual replacements of the original P178s with new columns and also additional infills. Too many columns and too close together for them all to be "original" locations.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:17 am 

Phosco152 wrote:
Which is what I thought. So to get a "decent" light distribution they must be relying on the dome of the LED itself to spread the light, or each "cover" over the LEDs on the Stella must be a lens. Otherwise you would just get a square patch of light on the ground - or perhaps you do!

I think I've put photos of lit examples in Preston into the first post of the North West discussion thread... from what I remember, the Stelas pretty much do beam straight down!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:30 am 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
I think I've put photos of lit examples in Preston into the first post of the North West discussion thread... from what I remember, the Stelas pretty much do beam straight down!

Yep as somebody now living in an area which is gradually becoming overrun with these LED vermin, I can confirm that there is not exactly a good spread of light from them. Interesting to note in that WRTL news story there is only a 'before' picture of the road's lighting. That's probably because the road is lit nowhere near as well now. The light output from the Stela reminds me of the light output from an old top-entry mercury lantern, like a Beta 4 for example, where the lamp was beginning to fail and was dim and didn't cast it's light far  :roll:

WRTL wrote:
The Bedfordshire Highways Electrical and Lighting Manager who designed the lighting scheme, said: “If successful, we will replace Central Bedfordshire’s 21,000 traditional street lights with Stela LED luminaires. Upon completion of this programme we hope to also transfer Bedford Borough Council’s 20,000 units over to Stela LED street lights.”

If Bedfordshire really do replace all their lighting with Stelas it's going to be one dim county! But wait, some of those '21,000 traditional streetlights' must be on Group A roads, right? They're seriously not going to replace Group A lanterns with Stelas? That bit can't be true, unless the figure quoted is for Group B lanterns only? In any case, they're certainly braver than Lancashire CC who so far have just used Stelas on footpaths and quiet cul-de-sacs (usually on modern 'Cheshire Plan' type estates) rather than on any type of Group B through road. Rightly so too. I think 70w MH Vectras are the next big thing for Lancs' side roads from a couple of casual replacements I've recently seen and hopefully this will be the case as Stelas simply aren't good enough yet. Come back with your LED lanterns in 10 years WRTL, when hopefully the technology will have matured to a sufficient standard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 pm 
Site Administration

Well a mega upload to my Fotopic site and a new collection Essex from my trip to see David yesterday.

Lighting on the A12 to Colchester has changed dramatically since I last went that way in the late 90s, lots more of it and old lighting replaced. Probably most unusual was the up tilted ZX4s at the M25 junction.

Essex in general still has a lot of SOX lighting used on the main roads and visible from the A12. Colchester is no exception with Eleco lanterns in widespread use as well as old favourites from the Thorn range. The number of Alpha 1s will soon be dramatically reduced when a new science park is built at the University and another road widening scheme in the town is completed - new columns have already gone in for that.

Concrete Utilities Group A columns are widespread but all sleeved. Surprisingly the Philips SGS203 is widespread both in side road installations, and main roads, both new and casual replacements.

Clacton also has a large number of concrete columns but unsleeved Group A examples still exist. I don't know if it is the sea air or if the concrete was ordered coloured, but many of Clacton's concretes have a green tinge to them - it isn't moss! Some of the columns are the "normal" colour though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:07 pm 

Excellent photos there Phosco.

I wonder if that lamp still works on the Alpha 1 with the smashed opticell?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:09 pm 
Site Administration

Can't see why it wouldn't, it must still be in the lampholder or it would have fallen out. The Iridium has also spread to Colchester in all shapes and sizes... :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 pm 

I'd have thought the lamp would snap at the lampholder as there's a tremendous force on it without the support.

The Iridium could be good or bad for Colchester.

David could possibly save some lanterns but then again, all these gems will be lost from the streets.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
Random avatar

Like the Essex photos, a lot of history still remains. The photos with the GR100s on concrete columns in Clacton - this could have been Chippenham and other parts of Wilts until the mid 1990s!

Not surprised about Essex getting Iridiums, when a local authority is a big Philips installer then Iridiums are bound to have a strong presence as these are Philips's flagship lantern!

For a Iridium-free zone or lower Iridium numbers, go to any authority which does not use Philips primarily - Poole is one example opting for Holophane and Thorn instead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:38 pm 
Random avatar

Great pictures! I think Essex and West Sussex are the best two councils for streetlighting in the whole country! It's great to see so many older lanterns being maintained and still surviving in Essex. Other councils should take note - If it's repairable, REPAIR IT! Don't just neglect it till it needs to be replaced.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:29 pm 

Calderdale is the same, if its bust - repair it, if its reached the end of its life - replace it. This explains why we still have Eleco GR100's / 150's / 200's plus on a side street in Halifax still has a Eleco HW???

Profile  Personal album