It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:37 am 
Random avatar

Well those at the Metrocentre they all use 150 watt but it is Gateshead.  I am not sure what the black Sapphires on the A1 use, they are also replacing the SOX lanterns on the approach roads to the Metrocentre with 10m crash friendly columns, I don't think there will be any serious replacements, as major roadworks are planned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:57 pm 
Random avatar

I hope Durham do that when their PFI comes in and I hope they use something other than just Iridiums everywhere. Although the Iridium seems to be the lantern of choice at the moment along with the ZXU1 for side roads and residential areas. As it is just SON everywhere at the moment.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 am 
Random avatar

In Newcastle under a railway underpass there used to be about 10 SON brick lights however these now run what I presume are induction bulbs. However the light output is rubbish and makes little difference as they seem to light the roof of the underpass and nothing else. There is also a zebra crossing in the underpass with blisha-beacons as usual at each side of the road, and I presumable throw more light onto the crossing they added a 500 watt halogen floodlight on each belisha beacon pole. These must be the most energy consuming fittings in the whole of Newcastle. And they are definately halogen, like the cheap ones available from DIY stores. And to think that they use more energy than one of the high mast lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:58 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

500 watt halogen does seem rather excessive for a belisha becon column!  :shock:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm 
Random avatar

Well with them lit 24/7 the bulbs wont last long. The lighting is over excessive and extremely glary, they aren't angled either they are just aimed downward towards the road. What they should of done was just use wall mounted arcs running Cosmo, or use lighting mounted to the roof.

Here is a streetview showing the floodlights on the blisha-beacon pole, this was before the induction lighting was replaced, also the columns at the end of the tunnel have also been replaced by arcs running Metal Halide.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 4,,0,-4.52

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm 

Wow, bet they go through lamps every other month.

I'd have installed those new beacons with the LED lit column and just put normal tunnel floods up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 am 

That is laughable, and it has given Newcastle the award for most dodgy crossing lighting.... and taken it away from York. York's award winner was a crossing where 'horn' type lights were fitted to the columns with 60w tungsten bulbs fitted inside... but Cheapo Wilkinson halogen floodlights really takes the biscuit!
So it's between Redheugh Bridge and central station... I have got to take a look at those myself!

When I do next go that way, I'll check to see if the GEC Clairmain is still there on the wall of Premier Inn near the bridge.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:43 pm 
Random avatar

The last time I was down and the GEC Clearmain was still there, however I don’t know whether it is still in operation, but it looks like it has been given a new coat of black paint. I have never seen it in operation but I presume it has been converted to SON. They have also just recently relit Scotswood Road the old lanterns were 250watt SON MRL6s and the new lanterns are 250watt Arcs running SON. Newcastle is just about a SON and CFL city now, barely any SOX remains.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:06 am 

A few years ago I managed to get some pictures up by City Hall before those columns were replaced... at the time I didn't even know they'd be replaced, so it's a bit of a bonus that I have the archive, so to speak. But yes, there isn't really much old stuff left now up in the Toon.... not on public roads anyway.

I've never seen that Clairmain lit... and the netting to stop pigeons/kittiwakes nesting on the building walls is in front of the Clairmain and so would prevent access to it anyway.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 am 
Random avatar

Yes the netting is probably whats kept it from being removed as I think all the lighting column mounted. Also the Tyne bridge has been relit with LED floodlights, however some of the original ones are still in use.

Profile  Personal album