It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Administration

Probably CDO-TT lamps which run on SON gear and have the same cap as SON lamps.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:08 pm 
Random avatar

Yes, we use them in the 250 SON floodlights lighting our shared parking bay on the side of the house, they have much better colour rendering than SON that was the main reason for them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:12 pm 
Random avatar

I hate it when councils move back to SON they do that up here as well. In Consett's main shopping street we have Thorn Areafloods running 150 watt attached to the walls of buildings in an opposite arrangement. These light the street very well with good colour rendering. There are also modern Urbis post tops installed during the relighting of the town centre. These are metal halide too. However nearly all of the Areafloods have had their spent lamps replaced with SON ones.  They also replaced one of the newish Sapphires running metal halide with a ZX2 running SON.

Durham normally do their replacements in/out and don't normally have columns standing side by side. However I have seen it happen elsewhere. There is one in Hexham, Northumberland, where an Arc is replacing an old SOX lantern however it has been like this for 3 years and the Arc is still not connected. It must have been forgotten that's all I can think. Link of location http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 75,,0,1.92

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 pm 

That's a rather nice Eleco Golden Ray lantern (possibly a GR150).

I also hate it when Metal Halide lamps get casually replaced with SON... the columns that replaced York's famous Revo Festivals are father and son columns with CDM (metal halide) lamps fitted - except one 'father' lantern that got a SON lamp about 18 months ago. On another street a bit further out, new cycle routes were built and the road relit with QSS's running CDM lamps - but on the bridge over the railway line, one lantern was installed from new with a SON lamp fitted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:42 am 
Random avatar

I hate it when they mix lamp types. And SON could of been used so that it doesnt get confused for a signal on the railway, I dont know though.  There is quite a few of them installations surviving but they are being casually replaced by Arcs.

Just up the street from me they installed a metal halide lamp in an SGS 203, which had always been SON. I think if they dont have any MBI, they just stick a SON lamp in place and the same if the dont have any SON lamps.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
There is an Alpha8 on a 5m drop-down column under plylon wires on the Gateshead Metrocentre ring road, this was a causal replacement for a MRL6. There are quite a few of these columns, as the lines follow the road. Quite a few MRL6s have disappeared or columns have been knocked down and have had post top Iridiums fitted.

I have put in a few street view images on the columns and some new ones fitted under pylons on A1(M) motorway.

Alpha 8-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 65,,0,-5.5

New Sapphires on A1-
1) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 6,,0,-3.12

2) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 9,,0,-9.84

Flat glass MRL6s can still be seen on the first link however these have since been replaced by Sapphires, running presumably 250watt SON-T.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Scott, what is the current situation regarding the bowled MRL6s down the other end of the A1 i.e. where the lighting begins when you're approaching Gateshead from the south? I know last time I was there (New Year 2009/10) there were many Iridium casual replacements.

Quote:
Alpha 8-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 65,,0,-5.5

Wow they are low!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 pm 
Random avatar

As far as I know they have replaced from the metrocentre junction northwards, if you know what I mean, but further south they only seem to have had replaced large chunks at once with Iridiums but it has not been sapphired yet, however there are plans to change it into a dual 3 lane motorway, so this will probably mean new higher wattage Sapphires. No SOX remains now, and is becoming even rarer due to the Newcastle PFI which is nearly complete and consists of SON, CFL & Metal Halide in city centre. However Gateshead still has a strong SOX body although I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a PFI recently as  a lot of thier columns are in poor condition mainly old corroded steel ones. They also dont paint their columns so they look in much worse condtion than Durham County's.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm 

It amuses me when tiny columns like that get installed on major roads and motorways under the high voltage power lines. The same has happened a bit further south down the A1 at Redhouse (Doncaster)... and the tiny columns are at the same spacing as the normal ones, yet because they're much lower down and use a lower power lamp, the light is not spread as far across the carriageway!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 am 

Wrong region but on the similar lines, on the M4 near to Heathrow the lanterns are Phillips MI55's because of low powerlines. the rest are a mixture of ZX3's and Sapphires. Although the last time I went that way is a good 4 years back so everything could have changed.

Back up in Tyne Tees, I can't remember if there is any low powerline on the A1(M).

Profile  Personal album