It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:40 am 
Random avatar

Yes hopefully, I there used to be some mercury in North Tyneside, but it has been in a joint PFI with Newcastle I suppose its all gone.

You used to see a few more of the metal canopies in small rural areas in Northumberland, but the have gradually been replaced with SON WRTL 2600's and Deltas.

I have also found a few of these GEC SOX lanterns, there used to be a few along the A1 Newcastle, but its since been sapphired. These are located on a dual carriageway in Blaydon, just outside Newcastle. There are a few of these dotted around Gateshead.Unfortunately they are gradually being replaced by Iridiums.  http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,2,-27.05

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm 

Oh yes, those are GEC 'Bricks' - as most of us nickname them. Full cut off SOX lanterns, and are getting less and less common. Those ones you have linked to I have seen from the train, on a trip across to Carlisle once.

I had a holiday up in Northumberland about 3-4 years ago, in Berwick upon Tweed. There were one or two interesting pieces back then, but a check on Streetview a while back showed that these had got replaced.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 pm 
Random avatar

Gateshead still has some good SOX lanterns, although no mercury.

Here are some lanterns near consett although none of them are in use.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 4,,2,-2.28

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3,,2,-4.48

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:52 am 

The second one is a GEC Z5670. As it has a refractor fitted, it'll eiher be running a Mercury or a SON lamp.... whilst not particularly rare, the Z5670's numbers are falling as bulk replacement schemes, PFI's, and the impending ban on mercury lamps being brought in by our Overlords in Brussels lay claim to a lot of these types of lanterns.

The first lantern though is a GEC Z5640, and that IS a rare lantern. The only Z5640's I've ever seen are at the Royal York hotel beside the railway station, in the carpark and at the gateposts (running domestic energy saver lamps). That one pictured looks to be on a flattened petrol station site, and I think that the ballast may soon be going rusty as the column has no door.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 pm 
Random avatar

I showed my Grandma the street view image and she tells me that it the site was an old ball bearings factory. She tells me it was demolished over 20 years ago, as she worked there for several years.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 pm 

I'd be so tempted to power up that GEC Z5640 using my inverter...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 pm 
Random avatar

I imagine it would still power up as the gear still looks in complete condition, and there are no signs of vandalism.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:56 pm 
Random avatar

Durham county has had its first Cosmo/white SON Iridium installed as a casual replacement although they seem to be replacing expired SON bulbs with a sort of white light but with a warmer glow, it looks too warm for White-Lux and Metal Halide.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 pm 
Site Administration

Don't forget that MH lamps are available in several different colour tempertures from cold blue versions to warm white similar to domestic CFL.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm 
Random avatar

Ah yes, they are like that of domestic CFL, hopefully they are going to move away from SON. They have even started to use it in some of the Alpha 8s and older SON lanterns which suggests they might be keeping them and be avoiding the PFI.

Profile  Personal album