It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Administration

Well this evening, this was gone, although it was still there earlier in the week.  :(  Fortunately an identical column, (still with sleeve and lamp  ;) ) remains in use a few hundred yards away.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:48 pm 
Random avatar

We went to Buckinghamshire [& through Oxfordshire] this weekend so I got to see a few areas of Wiltshire I am not so familiar with.

Well, first of all, the road that leads from the new roundabout to the dual carriageway has a few Z9554s that have lost their bowls in the strong winds, so expect to see Iridiums retrofitted soon! [Though we have a Z9554 that hasn't had a bowl for about 2 years]

In Calne, 2 sleeved concrete columns with Z9454s have now been replaced - Iridiums on medium-length brackets.

Also in Calne, I saw a deep bowled Z9554, apart from the back of the bowl was missing. I have heard this often happens with Z9554s, the older type.

And as we passed Swindon, I saw some [I think] 10m unsleeved concrete columns with Z9554s, but I could be wrong.

In the RAF estate near Wootton basset, there was one area lit with very well looked after old style Beta 8s, some Beta 5s and another which had old Stanton columns sleeved with Beta 5s, apart from the columns had spalled and cracked even down past the sleeve!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Administration

I did spot some unsleeved 8 or 10m concretes at Swindon near the A419 earlier in the week but since I was on "work time" and had someone with me I wasn't able to investigate. If it ever stops raining (yes it has started here yet again after half a day of sunshine) I'll go back and get some pictures.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:56 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
I did spot some unsleeved 8 or 10m concretes at Swindon near the A419 earlier in the week but since I was on "work time" and had someone with me I wasn't able to investigate. If it ever stops raining (yes it has started here yet again after half a day of sunshine) I'll go back and get some pictures.

I saw them as you go on the dual carriageway[?] towards Cirencester. That's probably not much help really haha.

Haha! Strap them to the chair and force them to worship the concrete columns!  :twisted:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 pm 
Site Administration

Yep, near the A419/420 junction, I may be mistaken but they looked like curved brackets.  :shock:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:04 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Yep, near the A419/420 junction, I may be mistaken but they looked like curved brackets.  :shock:

They certainly did! I am going to be in shock if they are 10m concrete columns.  They are now so so rare around the South West!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:04 pm 

Ah, the old days:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 pm 
Site Administration

That presumably is the A36 Southampton Rd heading into Salisbury. On the road sign, the blue motorway square is at guess showing M3 via A338/A30..

The picture looks mid 1980s given there is Montego or Maestro towing the caravan and possibly a red Sierra behind the motorbike behind it.

I have seen a photograph of Churchill Way North which is even better than that, curved twin bracket concretes.

There are sadly just 2 Group A concrete columns left now in the entire city.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
That presumably is the A36 Southampton Rd heading into Salisbury. On the road sign, the blue motorway square is at guess showing M3 via A338/A30..

The picture looks mid 1980s given there is Montego or Maestro towing the caravan and possibly a red Sierra behind the motorbike behind it.

I have seen a photograph of Churchill Way North which is even better than that, curved twin bracket concretes.

There are sadly just 2 Group A concrete columns left now in the entire city.

The date given for that photo on Flickr is May 1988.

It seems they started replacing their concretes some time ago as there is a casual replacement metal column in that photo with a Z9554 on it!  ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 pm 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Phosco152 wrote:
That presumably is the A36 It seems they started replacing their concretes some time ago as there is a casual replacement metal column in that photo with a Z9554 on it!  ;)

Yep! I think the whole of Wiltshire (Not too sure about Swindon) started to use metal columns from the 1970s onwards! There are now only about 15 main road concrete columns left in Wiltshire now! [Excluding Swindon]

Profile  Personal album