It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:43 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Well that is a shame because those installations are just plain ugly.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:20 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
So a bit like this one? Full view - different type of columns to your one.

Yep, and the brackets are much shorter. Like this example:
Because of the curve in the bracket, the Iridium isn't pointing straight. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

It's weird because those few new concrete columns were installed in the 1980s... About a decade after the other end of the street had theirs sleeved!

I actually don't mind them at the moment. I think it's far more interesting having that [due to the rarity] rather than having it on a bog standard CU column either post-top or a bog standard bracket. I agree, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but very quirky. It's not too far from that Stanton column but fitted with a new metal bracket and SGS 201.

God forbid, but if a top entry Beta 5 or MI51 failed, I'd quite like to see the council somehow retrofit an Iridium to that. I created a mock picture some time ago.

However these columns and bracket installations are nearing 60 years now so I doubt the council would bother.

Something else interesting I saw today [that I haven't ever before] is a slimline Beta 5 installed on a 1950s column with a 1970s sleeve. I wonder if it will receive another moderation in 2010?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 pm 
Site Administration

The new Sapphires have been switched on at the Park & Ride junction on the A36 Southampton Road. I was sort of hoping they would be MH but unfortunately they are SON. More disappointingly given the need to save power and hence emissions, illuminated bollards have been used for the new traffic islands for the traffic lights. In neighbouring Hampshire, non illuminated, reflective plates have replaced the majority of illuminated bollards. Given the fact the lighting has been upgraded (and uses even more power than before) are illuminated bollards really needed? Not to mention the power the traffic lights will use as well. 200 yards up the road, the retail park junction is a roundabout..  :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:15 pm 
Random avatar

I have seen the future!
Solar powered bollards quite a few used in coventry

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:13 pm 
Random avatar

Dun-dun!

Maybe a hammer wasn't used after all.

One thing I noticed about the P225s is that they have two part cells drilled on the sides.

I'm yet to see an Iridium on a sleeved concrete column. There is a SGS 201 in Bradford on a column and sleeve totalling 6m, but that's it!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:06 pm 
Random avatar

Tbh it could have been worse as that looks okay not as good as the lantern before it tho!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:58 pm 
Random avatar

nick217 wrote:
Tbh it could have been worse as that looks okay not as good as the lantern before it tho!

I agree, though I think the picture makes it look 10 times better than it is. It looks bigger and more clumsy in real-life. I'd rather have Iridiums on concrete columns than new boring characterless columns, though!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 pm 
Random avatar

Something quite interesting now. Remember these? Image

Well when I walked past today, none retained GLS looking lamps, but all were dayburning with new domestic CFL looking lamps! I am so pleased that the lanterns were retained, although some repairs have needed to be made with doors bring ripped off and cables ripped out. There was a Gamma 6 on a column like the photo above, but it is now seemingly been replaced with another Z5670!

And the GEC Brick just around the corner from here has had a new lamp fitted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:00 am 
Site Administration

How come they aren't SOX, SON or MBF then?

That style of door is always a pain especially if it is a British Steel/Corus column. Presumably to save costs, the door is really the same size as the aperture rather than having a decent overlap. As a result the securing latch at the top and the locating peg at the bottom barely have enough "grip" on the column - they are also too short, so the door quite often only needs a tap and off it falls.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:46 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
How come they aren't SOX, SON or MBF then?

I have no idea. Maybe they weren't/aren't owned by the council [although they do have identification numbers] - They are also the ally type. This is odd because our other ones are either Z5671s (Burn mercury) or Z5678s (But burn 35w SOX)

Quote:
That style of door is always a pain especially if it is a British Steel/Corus column. Presumably to save costs, the door is really the same size as the aperture rather than having a decent overlap. As a result the securing latch at the top and the locating peg at the bottom barely have enough "grip" on the column - they are also too short, so the door quite often only needs a tap and off it falls.

It's actually not this style of column that has had its door pulled off. It's one of those octagonal CU Phosco doors, but I'll say no more because they seem to have a habit of breaking [usually due to rough vandalism]

Profile  Personal album