It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cambridgeshire
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 pm 

There are several of these ornate wood pole brackets in the Cambridgeshire hamlet of Hemingford Abbots, but this has to be by far the longest outreach. I don't think that they are too old, but they are unusual.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hemingf ... 8,,1,-3.59

Attachments:
Phosco post top on ornate bracket in Hemingsford Abbots, Cambs.jpg
Phosco post top on ornate bracket in Hemingsford Abbots, Cambs.jpg [ 60.69 KiB | Viewed 73307 times ]

Last edited by Claire on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Cambridgeshire
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 pm 

These brackets could be an inhouse design by Cambridgeshire CC, as I've never seen them anywhere.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Random avatar

The fact that they are clamped to the column and not bolted through or coach screwed would suggest they were designed with steel poles in mind. I have seen various problems occur with clamps and Tespa bands when used on wood poles, as the wood swells when wet it can cause the bands to loosen over time or the bolts to sheer and the lantern to be left supported in overhead cables.  Durham used to always either bolt or coach screw but recently especially with the rise in the use of combination boxes banding is becoming a more common sight.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm 

Scott15 wrote:
The fact that they are clamped to the column and not bolted through or coach screwed would suggest they were designed with steel poles in mind. I have seen various problems occur with clamps and Tespa bands when used on wood poles, as the wood swells when wet it can cause the bands to loosen over time or the bolts to sheer and the lantern to be left supported in overhead cables.  Durham used to always either bolt or coach screw but recently especially with the rise in the use of combination boxes banding is becoming a more common sight.

Over very long periods of time, wood poles can dry out and shrink in diameter, leaving clamps loose.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 pm 

That is a brilliant bracket... it looks like it was originally side entry but had a spigot welded on at some point.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:21 pm 
Random avatar

Claire wrote:
Scott15 wrote:

Over very long periods of time, wood poles can dry out and shrink in diameter, leaving clamps loose.

I have noticed this with banded installations which has resulted in them being turned by the wind. I remember once a few years ago when some wood poles were replaced in Rowlands Gill, just outside Gateshead. The electricity company's contractors could not undo the bolts to free the brackets from the old poles so the curved arm was just re fixed with Tespa bands. Needless to say they turned to face the wind in no time and were removed and replaced with combination boxes about two weeks later.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:13 pm 
Random avatar

Cambridgeshire Council is switching to LED.
https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/news/ ... ridgeshire
Work is expected to begin in 2024 and last for 2 years.
Another PFI going LED not that long finishing installations

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:23 pm 
Site Administration

Sonsoxman wrote:
Cambridgeshire Council is switching to LED.
https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/news/ ... ridgeshire
Work is expected to begin in 2024 and last for 2 years.
Another PFI going LED not that long finishing installations

I have edited this post as it contains information that is not relevant to this county and repeats information in another topic.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:26 pm 

On the bright side, I know a few lighting enthusiasts that live in Cambridgeshire that could save the lanterns once they get removed.

Profile  Personal album