It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm 

At the moment I am still unsure where the next mercury replacement place is in York... but a road in Acomb has recently been relit with Thorn Jets, so Acomb may be the place to check.

Anyway, elsewhere there are some other columns with replaceemnts standing, one being replaced is a top entry SRL35 (no cell) and the other is a top entry Beta 5 (with cell), the SRL35 would seem to still be timeswitched!

On a riverside pathway that goes from Foss Islands Road to Navigation Road there is a short tunnel bit, and one of the tunnel lanterns (despite graffitti) is showing a yellow SOX glow.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 am 

I thought the Horizon Majors were the internally geared versions (meaning these would just be normal Horizons).
Still, I was wondering why I've never seen these myself... but then I realised that everytime I've been there, I've come off the A65 and gone round to the B6382 - either for the rail station or to stop and eat some food... and when I did the latter, I rejoined the A65 at that next junction to the west of where the Horizons are.

A good spot though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 am 

Sticker Lane in Bradford still retains a very old 1950's GEC Turtle with the shoe on the top of the lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:32 am 

One of the roads in the LEEMAN ROAD area of York has columns and QSS replacements standing alongside wall mount GEC Z8691's. My eyebrows have been raised....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 am 

Possibly another one for the collection, is it the older one (GEC Turtle MK1) or the more recent (MK2)? As i know the there is a few down the M1 round near to Leicester Forest services.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:00 am 

the over-shoe turtles are the older type, and open from the top.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:10 pm 

Chapeltown, Sheffield appears to be next in the city's PFI Scheme as new columns and lanterns, WTRL Arc's have appeared although it looks like the 'Sheffield' side shall be done first then the 'Barnsley' side will probably be done after (divided by the SY3 Line).

Staying in Sheffield at Meadowhall right outside of the interchange is a faulty ZX3 with a shallow bowl as the canopy has been taped up with earth coloured tape (Green/Yellow).

In Silkstone Common there is, what i think, is a row of AEI Ambers on the road heading towards Penistone. They have no cell too thus meaning that they are either group switched or are controlled by a timeclock.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:16 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
One of the roads in the LEEMAN ROAD area of York has columns and QSS replacements standing alongside wall mount GEC Z8691's. My eyebrows have been raised....

Interesting. I've had my eyes on them wall brackets for the Z9464's for a long time.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:48 am 

Well it isn't the larger brackets with the Z9464's on though... it's one of the roads which faces you as you've come from where the Z9464's are (if heading towards the A59/A19 away from the city) and they're small wall brackets for group B lanterns. You can fit a group A lantern like a QSM onto the brackets though!
I will still presume though that at some time soon, those Z9464's and wall brackets may come down - as those roads are part of a fairly busy route into the city (busy as people use it to avoid the A59/A19!), so I'd expect the SOX to get replaced with either Cosmo Sapphires of PL-L Residiums.

Profile  Personal album