It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm 

Gramma6 wrote:
It does seem a bit strange! You would think they would use the cosmo lanterns to replace old SOX lighting rather than relatively-modern QSMs!

The sapphires are replacing SOX lanterns in Wigginton, and Stelmer has his eyes on those! I don't know what will happen to the QSM's... this new depot is smaller so they'll either be put back out in service as casuals (instead of QSS's) or they'll be skipped (and by 'skipped' add on "then taken out of the skip and end up in the back of stelmers van"!)

Quote:
I didn't think the ZX1 was still in production anyway, they seem a bit old-fashioned to me  :?

That's what I thought when I saw them. I was thinking "oh, only ZX1's... I would have thought for Cosmo that something a bit more of a looker could have been used". Even if they are ZXU1's (which explained why they looked different to me, as I'd never seen one before) there are still better looking lights out there... anyway, don't QSS's take Cosmo lamps?!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 pm 

Yeah, you'll have to let Des know not to disassemble them top entry SOX lanterns near the Fossgate pub when they're finally replaced. Had my eyes on those babies since 2006.

I'd also love a bit of bracket attached to it too but that's asking too much..... :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 am 

I've had my eyes on those top entry ones ever since I realised they were even there! They really are relics now (and there are more off East Parade in Heworth... which you'll see on the next depot visit!)

when/if they get removed, the top entry adaptor will likely remain with the lantern, and the column cut a bit short. With a huge amount of luck, the HIAB would take the whole bracket arm, with lantern, off the top of the column...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 am 

I got my bike working today, the one I've built up myself. I decided to take it for a loop round the city (and at the moment I'm regretting it, as after 4 months of no cycling at all, I'm out of shape - so I'm worn out and my butt is sore!)... anyhow, part of the loop took me past the Chapelfields estate - which in itself is usually a place I don't enter as it's up a hill, not on a through road, and a dodgy area.
Today I saw an odd glimmer out of the corner of my eye as I passed a road end, so investigated at the next road....

Attachment:
File comment: SOX, SON, and a nice pleasant white light... which is new.
DSC05895.JPG
DSC05895.JPG [ 74.62 KiB | Viewed 16389 times ]

When I saw the inital glimmer which made me do this divert, I had a hunch as to what it was... and I was right. These are 10m columns with Phillips Residiums on top! These will most likely be 80w PL-L, replacing 90w SOX. They will be fairly new, as there are no used 80w PL-L lamps in the lucky dip bins at the depot, and also because I went round this way on a bus a few months back and they weren't there then.

Attachment:
DSC05896.JPG
DSC05896.JPG [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 16389 times ]

Attachment:
DSC05897.JPG
DSC05897.JPG [ 75.1 KiB | Viewed 16389 times ]

If this is a trial, then I hope it is adopted... as it'd be nice to see the back of SON lighting! Especially as 100-150w replaces 90w SOX.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am 

Now that looks much nicer than SON, at least its not as glarey. If its a trial i hope it passes it so it can be rolled out across York and the rest of Yorkshire.

SON should have been phased out at least by 5 years ago rather than most councils wanting it, Kirklees included  ;) . Hopefully one day most villages will be lit by CFL whist main routes would have MH working in partnership with the dying SOX.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:00 am 

Fluorescent is a much nicer light output to anything else. I've yet to see the Cosmo sapphires in use once they're installed... But I hope that 80w PL-L is going to be used on the former 90w SOX installations, and Cosmo for anything above that and/or to replace 70w SON.

I'd like to see my street redone with white light... but I fear if I mention my street that it'll get relit with more SON, which is a bit pointless!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:54 am 
Random avatar

Those 80w PL-L Residiums give a good light output and I agree much better than SON. Various parts of Yorkshire seem to be adopting white light which is good to see. The only white light we have in Lancashire en-masse are those bl**dy lousy LED Stelas!  :x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:10 am 

You'd never see them stelas on a main road would you! :lol: if they ever were, they'd replace 90w SOX with something silly like 175w to give out an equal light...

these 80w residiums have taken me by suprise, as it would seem that the 'client' (york council) is more enlightened about white light than I had put them down for... The other thing I'm thinking about is that if this is a trial and is successful, then what other 90w SOX lanterns will be replaced by these...??

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 am 

I think the Residium is one of them lanterns that looks really good on a 6m tubular steel hockeystick column.

There's a few near Worksop. The columns once sported Beta 2's but most have either been chopped and fitted with SON lanterns. One has had it's Beta 2 replaced with a Residium and it does blend in with the column really well.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:28 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
You'd never see them stelas on a main road would you! :lol: if they ever were, they'd replace 90w SOX with something silly like 175w to give out an equal light...

LED technology will have to improve substantially before they can even begin to think of fitting Stelas to anything more major than quiet cul-de-sacs of the type found on 1990+ estates.