It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 pm 

At the moment I am working on my Revo Festival to fit in the 1950's transformer ballasts that I have got from Claire. because they will not operate a 58w T8 lamp, I thought I'd pop down to Homebase to see if they had got in any more T12 65w tubes (last time I'd checked, they'd ran out). But no, still none in yet; And the thing is with the York store is they run out of something and it can be MONTHS before it comes back in stock again. So I thought I'd zip up the road to B&Q instead... but they don't sell them anymore.

On the way back, I took a little shortcut through the back end of Heworth and got a bit of a shock. The whole of Meadlands (1970's housing road) and two other nearby streets have had ALL the GEC Z5670's replaced with Jets. Sadly, these were Aluminium canopy versions too, and not the Fibreglass ones that go manky. Now, there are one or two streets with some left installed - so I'm going to see if I can get a few set aside... and see what else from Heworth can be hidden in a corner for me.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:39 pm 

You might have to get the tubes ordered online now.

Pity about the 5570's. I'm after one of them for my garage.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 pm 

Today i was in Wakefield and next to the market there is a post topped black Irdium running MH, probably 35w as it wasn't as bright as the Arcs we have in Brighouse.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 pm 

I got some of the ally canopy Z5670's today - very fortunate!
More in the collection thread...

There are still the odd one or two Ally canopy Z567x lanterns around - there's a SOX one in Heworth opposite my dentists, and Sessions printers on the Huntington Road near me has some in the premises - and the printers has just gone into administration...

--

Although classed as Redcar and Cleveland, this is in the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire and so counts
http://timsgallery.fotopic.net/p64667252.html
In the middle-ground (between the Pacer train and the oil refineries of Seal Sands) you can see two older columns sporting a Phillips MA and an Iridium being replaced by Redcar PFI style green columns with green WRTL 2Tone lanterns on top. Just thought that was worth sharing...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 pm 

I would have converted that Phillips MA to P-PL or fluorescont.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:22 pm 

In Leeds going up Scott Hall Road, about 1 mile from Alwoodley there is an intresting case of group switching one column is connected to the other by one cable supended between the two of them.

The lantern up near to Leyburn, an ESLA does work as I have asked a local and they said 'that the streetlight has lasted so long is because is fitted to the pub and its not a pole otherwise it would not be here now.'

Bramley, Cockshott Lane looks to be next in the PFI as new columns have gone up but are lanternless.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 pm 

Lighting works are still plodding along in Leeds.

Today Stanningely Bypass is being done. Still no sign of any works on the A6120 at Seacroft towards Crossgates.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 pm 

Leeds has quite a few installations of overhead cables going from column to column - most are just power supply, constant live... but I have always thought that there'd be somewhere that has used the overhead cables for group switching.

In York, those ZXU1's (Cosmo) that I pictured at the AMEY Poppleton depot are now installed at the back end of Morritt Close. They are brand new columns for the flats at the far end of the lane - I haven't had a look at them yet, but I know they're up because when I walk or cycle home from the A1036 there is a field that backs onto Morritt Close and so I can see the ZXU1's from there. I plan to check Mill Lane in Wigginton soon, to see if the Cosmo Sapphires are up yet...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:21 am 

Well, I am shocked.

This morning I saw a bucket van at one of the new columns on Austhorpe Lane. Turns out they were preparing the column for painting.

Everyone of them has been painted black. They even did the new roadsign poles.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 pm 

Todmorden next t'market there is a row of 3 Thorn Civic's along with an old and in very good condition a tram pole column with a Philips MI55 attached.

Profile  Personal album