It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 am 
Formerly Paspie

I discovered some recent GSV images that confirmed what I thought I had discovered a while back, all the lanterns on all the road lighting columns in the privately owned Riverside Industrial Estate, London Colney, being changed from mostly GEC Z9554s to Tamlite Tamcourts. That would be a downgrade from 135W to 90W SOX, but presumably there was a particular reason the management wanted to maintain this light source in the facility and were struggling with spare parts for the old equipment.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.72025 ... 312!8i6656

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:04 pm 
Random avatar

Are they definitely SOX as Tamlite do an LED version....  The likelyhood of anyone installing new SOX lanterns now is pretty much nil!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:54 pm 
Formerly Paspie

versalift09 wrote:
Are they definitely SOX as Tamlite do an LED version....  The likelyhood of anyone installing new SOX lanterns now is pretty much nil!
There is no LED version of the Tamcourt, only a fluorescent version, which I don't believe is the case here as the blackened end of (presumably) SOX lamps are visible through the lanterns.

If I take a visit during the night I'll see if I can confirm this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 pm 

There is an LED version of the "Tamcourt", although it is sold under a different brand. The Tamlite Tamcourt is itself a rebadged VLux LPX.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:16 pm 
Site Administration

Work to widen the A27 on the approach to the Segensworth roundabout in Hampshire has seen all but the 4 columns nearest the camera removed (installed by the PFI less than 3 years ago).  I expect those columns to be removed as well. They are feed from a temporary supply from the roundabout. New verge mounted columns have started to go in, (on the right of the picture) and these are fitted with short brackets and Lumas.  Widening work elsewhere as part of this scheme, has seen columns of similar vintage replaced with new columns placed a couple of metres further back from the edge of the road. In some cases it looks like the original SON Iridiums have been transferred to the new columns from the "old" ones.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm 
Site Administration

In Hertfordshire, the LED retrofit program has turned this into this.  :cry:

Nearby these remain as pictured and some MA90s out of camera also still remain. I presume the inconsistency is due to all night lanterns being converted to LED and part night left as is.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am 

LED ruining perfectly good installations again  :roll:  :(

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:42 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Phase 4 of Hertfordshire's LED programme started last November. All the remaining B and C road stock will be gone by the end of this year, and all the remaining U stock will be gone by 2020. I was told that the Lighting portion of the website was removed as there was (paraphrased) 'no demand for it'.

It was Phase 2 that focused on all the full night lighting on B, C and U roads and left the part-night lanterns untouched, except during repairs. Phase 3 was a much smaller, concurrent scheme, focusing on "remote footpaths and outlying settlements" which was finished in March.

I'll see if I can find out which depot old equipment are being sent to, though it may be difficult to source a particular model from a given location.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:13 pm 

On the A27 in Chichester there has been a cull of SOX.

Between Portfield Roundabout and Oving Crossroads there used to be MA60s on early 1990s columns. Last year there was a column replacement scheme as part of a new development access on the westbound side, which saw new aluminium columns and Lumas fitted. At that time, a number of existing columns got some ZX3 casual replacements. Now, all but one column between Portfield and Oving have been lantern swapped with Iridiums. Yep, so nice mix of Lumas, Iridiums, ZX3s and I think even a couple of other things like SGS203s and Seleniums. Only one MA60 survives, which is westbound just leaving Portfield Roundabout. There are a few MA60s clinging on just east of Portfield Roundabout, but those have been hit hard by Selenium casual replacements. It would almost appear the policy is one of replacing the lantern rather than the lamp.

Much further east in Brighton, the A27 out in and around the A23 interchange is still lit with SOX in the form of MA50s and MA60s. It is unlikely to be long before this all disappears.

Further east still, some bits of SOX still survive on the A259 where it is Highways England, although not without heavy casuals.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:59 pm 

More SOX has disappeared down my way, and this time it's Road Chef.

Recently, at both A34 Sutton Scotney services and M27 Rownhams Services, the Philips MA90s have had LED corn retrofits. Evidently the cost of new lamps plus the desire for something brighter with better colour rendering has caught up with these locations. At certain angles, there is a lot of glare, but whilst it is sad to see the loss of SOX at least the MA90s live on.

Profile  Personal album