It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 pm 
Random avatar

Cheers Steve. Hope the Isle of Wight PFI will avoid using Philips!

Quite odd about the South Coast scheme using two lanterns not made by the same manufacturer unless it is possible that source had mistakenly referred the Arc as Iridium, that the South Coast could get Arcs for main roads instead?

The Surrey PFI scheme has mistakenly called the Libra as Iridium.

What a shame. I was hoping for Urbis - Sapphires for main roads and Altras for side roads. A different approach for the South Coast instead of Iridiums of Dorset & Portsmouth and Arcs of Surrey.

If Iridiums are indeed the choice then why not SEC use Residiums instead of Libras? Wouldn't an all-Philips package be cheaper than purchasing from two different manufacturers?

The question is will all new installations, in the PFI, appear identical across Hants, Southampton & West Sussex? Are the columns going to be in different colour in each authority? Maybe black Iridiums for So'ton & Hants following on from black ZX3s and white Iridiums for West Sussex following from white Sapphires?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Administration

There is probably more bargaining power by using lanterns from 2 different manufacturers and playing one off against the other for the best price. The Residium is also an "older" design and I wonder if that's why it wasn't chosen, and it could be similar for the Altra.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:33 pm 
Random avatar

Fair point about the bargaining power. If SEC had gone with Urbis then Aresas could be used instead of Altras as the Aresa is a newer design which would compete with the Libra.

I guess the Residium is looking tad too long in the tooth when pitted against the Libra and Aresa, perhaps Philips are developing a new successor to the Residium based on the cobrahead look of the Iridium - like the Libra matches with the Arc, Aresa with the Evolo?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site Administration

From the BBC website and not entirely accurate as it is a few weeks before the PFI officially starts. The new depot is still being fitted out...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 am 

The Daily Echo and BBC News reports will have come about because Southampton City Council made a press release "launching" the PFI in Southampton. I still have no idea what they mean by a launch, seeing as the contract officially starts on April 1st. Here are some selected quotes:

Quote:
As part of the contract Southampton will be the first city in the country and one of he first in Europe to be able to remotely monitor its streetlights.

All existing yellow/amber light sources in the city will be replaced with white-light. White light provides excellent colour rendering, giving the ability to distinguish colours and improve visibility at night.

The first city in the country to remotely monitor its street lights? Certainly, other cities already have remote monitoring for a small proportion of their lighting. This includes Plymouth, which has had remote monitoring for a few years now. And what about the City of Westminster and their plans for remote monitoring? And what about the Surrey PFI, which contains a city called Guildford, and will use remote monitoring? Given that the Surrey PFI started a month earlier and that the Guildford replacements should be complete within about a year then surely Guildford would beat Southampton to the post? Southampton trying to big themselves up again.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:01 pm 

York city council have signed up to something so that CO2 emissions are reduced, and have stated that many less-efficient lights will be replaced by white light. Given the scale of the resultant scheme from the 'trial' remote monitoring scheme, I would not be suprised if the whole city centre is soon remotely monitored... We may have a race between cities!

Another thought: if I was installing streetlights and my contract started on April 1st, my first installation would be an April Fools Joke... like a 5m column with the biggest most ridiculous bracket ever known to man, with a 60w bulb hanging out the end of it, or something similar! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:24 pm 

They have to do something....the opportunity for a big joke is too great to miss!!!!!

I've been thinking about their energy efficient white light statement and wonder if infact it is true?

People round here believe the white light iridiums are more energy efficient than the 35w SOX MI26's and Beta 5's. When infact there's approximately a 3rd more new columns erected than old ones removed. Not to mention that they might run 60w lamps.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Administration

The white light energy efficiency debate is to do with how the eye perceives brightness. It sees a white light of the same lumen level, brighter than a yellow light. Therefore all else being equal, you can reduce the lumens and therefore wattage to get the same perceived brightness. Of course new lighting never replaces fittings with the same lumen levels...

SOX gear is also more lossy than SON gear, 50W SON is about the same circuit power as a "good" low loss 35W SOX ballast. A leak transformer for 35W SOX can use as much power as 70W SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:19 pm 
Site Administration

Some more info on the work plan for the PFI. Crews will be working in Soton, Hampshire and West Sussex simultaneously. Hampshire will be split north and south with Basingstoke acting as a satellite depot. However all removed lanterns will be recycled via the main Hampshire depot.

It appears that Gosport will be the first area to be PFIed. I hope I can save some of the relics shown here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:06 pm 

Phosco, if there's any top entry Mercury lanterns at the depot, please can you save a couple for me.

Im after 2x Bleeco Worthing lantern with lamp.

Profile  Personal album