It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm 

QSM Quandary wrote:
Ha! The new websites seem identical to this one!

Perhaps Tay Valley are also responsible for Dorset too or is it just SEC itself?

Well, the websites are SEC websites rather than TVL websites. Stoke and Leeds have "Lights on in..." type websites, and they are TVL/SEC PFIs.

Fault reporting on all three council websites now redirect to the respective "Lights on in..." websites.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 pm 

The replacement schedules have been launched in Hampshire. The schedules only cover the next couple of weeks at the moment, but will no doubt expand to cover a larger time period over the coming weeks. Southampton and West Sussex do not have uploaded schedules yet.

In South Hampshire the first roads will be Richmond Road and Monserrat Road in Lee-on-Solent, with works anticipated to start tomorrow.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm 
Site Administration

The plan for "Gosport" covers a fair chunk of Lee on Solent - interesting that much of it is "April" though in reality only a couple of streets have firm dates at present.

It will be interesting to see if they do a Colas big bang approach - i.e. plant a whole street of new, connect, disconnect and remove old, or how SEC more usually work, that is a few columns at a time, where they plant new and remove old is done at the same time, with the old hole being used.

Also it will be interesting to see the proportion of new and "not replaced columns" especially if there have been casuals, and if those not replaced get new Libras at the same time.

As works advance we should also find out what lamp type the main road lanterns will be using.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
As works advance we should also find out what lamp type the main road lanterns will be using.

Given that they appear to be taking an area by area approach, we may know in the next few weeks.

EDIT: I have just taken a look at the programme, and it has been updated more since I last looked. It suggests that more than half the roads in Lee-on-Solent will see lighting renewal start this month, although many of the roads don't have firm dates. Nevertheless, in a couple of month's time it seems that Lee-on-Solent will be completely different.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm 

After a trip to the Dentist this morning I had a quick look around Lee-on-Solent, and PFI replacement works started this morning:

Attachment:
File comment: 9th April 2010, the first new columns of the PFI in south Hampshire
amonserrat road 1.JPG
amonserrat road 1.JPG [ 67.65 KiB | Viewed 25621 times ]

Replacement works started on Monserrat Road north west of the junction with Milvil Road and proceeded in a north westerly direction along the road. The replacement column in the foreground of the picture was the second column to be installed as part of the PFI replacements in south Hampshire; the photo was taken next to the first column installed. The street lighting lorry can be seen in the background of the picture. The new PFI columns are Hampshire green Mallatite columns, so they blend in well with what has been installed in recent years anyway. So there we are, replacements have officially commenced!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Administration

Several things of interest:

- The spacings seem to be remaining the same in that location so with CFL lanterns it should not look overlit.  :)  Unlike in Pompey where Colas seldom put new columns in the old positions and closed up the spacings.

- SEC seem to be doing the "big bang" approach rather than their more usual "plant and pull as we go" that is normally employed on non PFI replacement schemes. It will be interesting to see how quickly the new columns are commissioned.

Whilst "painted" columns look better than galvanised that only holds true until the paint/coating gets chipped and traps water beneath. New columns only a few years old in Fareham already have chipped paint down to the base layer and the finish soon dulls and look grubby.

If I were trying to get maximum life from the columns I'm afraid I would choose galvanised..

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
If I were trying to get maximum life from the columns I'm afraid I would choose galvanised..

Why not stainless? I know the cost would be much higher but so will the life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Administration

Stainless costs considerably more than galvanised. I'm not sure what the price comparison between galvanised and the smart conical aluminium columns (which I personally think look fab) is though. Trouble is often its a case of function rather than form, so looks price tends to overrule looks.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Administration

Well a survey of the PFI progress in Gosport borough today showed a very sedate start to the PFI.

Columns have been fitted in Montserrat Road and Osborne Road, probably no more than a dozen in total. There are no new columns elsewhere.

However, Grove Road, Petrie Road, Russell Close and Russell Road all have markings in place on the pavements for new columns.

Interestingly Beach Road is on the plan as one of the first streets to be done. However it has 3 columns all less than 5 years old, 1 has a post top ZXU1, another is a hockey stick with a ZX1 and the 3rd is a hockey stick with a Sapphire 1 on it. All are 5 or 6m columns, so will they simply be re-lamped with Libras or are taller columns going to be fitted?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:23 pm 

wouldn't it be funny if some dozy clod installed a lantern onto a new column but had forgotten to take the column wrapper off!

Profile  Personal album