It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Well I would definetly phone the council and ask about the P112 whilst you are in contact with them!

As for the mercury is it an Eleco lantern possibly a Welwyn? Indust showed me what looked to be Welwyn running SON in Bradford on Avon - more of that elsewhere. ;)

I'll try and ask about the P112, they are in swansea city council's area, not bridgend county councils, but will contact SCC.

Not sure of the exact type of the mercury lanterns as well, they seem to be running 80w (?)  lamps though.

There are a load of Clearmains in Baglan Bay near Port Talbot, some can be seen from the M4 (Below) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=briton+ferry&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.644408,28.081055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Briton+Ferry,+Neath,+West+Glamorgan,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.618316,-3.814584&spn=0,359.993144&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.61816,-3.814425&panoid=dds9yw-nJQ0FkCas6mIvfg&cbp=12,236.2,,2,-2.22

Streetview does not go into the smaller roads inside the old oil refinery (now part power station), but from a visit a couple of weeks ago, there are still a lot of clearmains lining the disused roads there, I counted at least 30. None work however! Most appear complete, and there may be more lurking around the site, I could only get to the boundry fence so couldn't see more.

Mike.

Post subject: Re: Im new!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 pm 

gwilisandt wrote:

The old lantern does look like it could be an Eleco Welwyn. However, I remember discussion a while back regarding a lantern that looked like this, and it turned out that a couple of manufacturers made a lantern that looked like this. They were probably made by the same company with one made under licence and given subtle differences.

At first glance I thought the new lantern was a WRTL Arc, but looking at it again I am not so sure. Maybe it's just the picture angle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 pm 
Random avatar

The new lantern is apparently an Iridium...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm 
Site Administration

Ah, did wonder that, is it the type with the smaller/different reflector?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 pm 
Random avatar

Just had a look around the net, and it seems an Eleco Welwyn is the favourite for being the lantern here. I believe the estate they are in was built in the mid-late 1950's, so the lanterns could be original from installation.

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 pm 

If you end up with a few of them on your hands (with refractors/bowls in tact), them I'm sure certain folks here would relieve you of any surplus ones, and you'd get a few £ in the process! :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 pm 

Oi Mazeteam.....you've got enough lanterns.....time I got something interesting ;)  :lol:

Anyhow, nice pictures and well done on the save. I agree with Phosco, the open sodium lanterns need saving. Wales has allot of interesting lanterns in service still.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:46 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
Oi Mazeteam.....you've got enough lanterns.....time I got something interesting ;)  :lol:

HAHA!
I think after most/all of York's mercury stock has gone, I'll have to limit the collection to just very rare pieces... or something!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:35 pm 
Random avatar

On my way to a mates house in Carmarthen on friday night, I was passing over the M4 Briton Ferry bridge and happened to glance right over towards Baglan. I spotted a greeny-white light amongst the usual SOX & SON coloured lights, my curiosity got the better of me and I came off at the next junction and searched for the light I had seen.
The light was found on the road in Penrhiwgoch, Baglan.
Seems to be a rather nice mercury installation, Eleco Welwyn I think? I took a photo when I found it on friday night, and popped by there on the way home today to photograph it in the daylight.

Yet another fine vintage installation in South Wales!

P.S. I also drove by the P112 in Swansea, there are no others around apart from that one I could see.

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 pm 

The shape of the canopy makes it look more like a Thorn Beta 4.

Profile  Personal album