It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Administration

mazeteam wrote:
That's different - it looks like it wasn't originally a streetlight column, thus the little cap on the top.
But regardless of that, I like the setup... it's not particularly fussy, but neither is it boring like the modern installations popping up as replacements which just look like upturned golf clubs banged into the ground!

It's a top entry MI80 on the bracket, but it'd still look good with a Celest on there.
You can also see the trench in the road that carries the supply cable across from the overhead deployment pole on the left

Looks to me more like a top entry Simplex Gemini. The lip of the canopy looks to be too pronounced for a MI80 and the proportions of the depth of the canopy (which looks too shallow) and the bowl (too deep) don't seem to match a MI80.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:45 pm 

Actually yes it could be...

I saw something that I thought was a top entry gemini while I was in wales

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Administration

From September's "Car Mechanics" which I got a few weeks back but have only just started reading..

Quote:
Coventry is to benefit from more than £64 million to replace the majority of its street lighting. Installation of nearly 28000 new lighting columns within the first 5 years; replacement of nearly 6000 illuminated traffic signs and bollards and a reduction in energy consumption and CO2 emissions of 38%. The council has signed individual contracts with Balfour Beatty.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:33 pm 

Quote wrote:
Coventry is to benefit from more than £64 million to replace the majority of its street lighting. Installation of nearly 28000 new lighting columns within the first 5 years; replacement of nearly 6000 illuminated traffic signs and bollards and a reduction in energy consumption and CO2 emissions of 38%. The council has signed individual contracts with Balfour Beatty.

That's a surprise to read that! I was under the impression that the latest round of Street Lighting PFIs were about to be axed! The two contrasting stories make the first and fourth results on this Google results page.

I think the Government's proposed spending cuts will be announced in October. I am crossing my fingers that street lighting PFIs are scrapped, as I personally have no desire to live in a county that's completely absent of street lighting heritage and variety.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:59 pm 
Random avatar

Some new Urbis Evolo installations have been installed as a trial by the looks of things in a residential area of Grantham. Very nice looking installations I have to say, though they did replace some Beta 5's and Stanton and Staveley columns.

Might be a new choice for residential lighting over the Residium.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 pm 

Birmingham's Street Lighting PFI will use WRTL Stelas in residential areas and WRTL Airtraces on main roads.

WRTL Link

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:40 pm 

hmmm, so it's AMEY doing the PFI there. I wonder if anybody more local is trying to get hold of any old lanterns, clocks etc? I certainly wouldn't mind a 'hatfield' lantern!
Certainly look more interesting than the lanterns replacing them.
As for main roads, they're using SON - WHY??? The article states than there is some Metal Halide lighting around the area, so why then go and use SON - the poor man's 'close enough' light source when CDM or CPO cannot be afforded??

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Administration

Indeed, the first commercial SON lamps were installed over 40 years ago.

Quote:
4th September 1967: A workman puts the finishing touches to new 'Gec-Osram High Pressure' street lamps in Southend, Essex. They are some of the first to be installed in the country. (Photo by Harry Todd/Fox Photos/Getty Images)

CosmoPolis MH offers efficiencies and lifetimes comparable to SON. Given the use of white light allows less lumens (and hence watts) for the same perceived brightness as SON, and Cosmo always uses electronic gear which is more efficient than SON magnetic gear, there really isn't any justification for the use of SON in new PFI schemes considering the amount of lanterns being installed and their expected lifetime.

Investment in SON technology has ended, the future is in CFL, MH and ultimately LEDs, however the current LED technology is only a stopgap until OLEDs (Organic LEDs, flat panel and flexible) come along. The different construction of OLEDs finally overcomes the heat dissipation issue with "conventional" LEDs.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:41 pm 

As I see it, each decade has it's main source of street lighting that grew to be more dominant than other light sources.

1960's had MCF fluorescent
1970's had Mercury Vapour in various forms
1980's had Low Pressure Sodium (mainly SOX)
1990's had High Pressure Sodium

so using this, the 2000's should have had another light source such as Metal Halide, and yet now we're going into the 2010's and still SON is being installed as though it's 'cutting edge'. Depending on how fast OLED production is, we may see that grow to be the dominant lighting source for this next decade - but if not then my money is on Fluorescent.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 pm 

I'm guessing that the 2010's will be the decade of CFL and introduction of OLED.

Profile  Personal album