It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm 

From today's Daily Mail:
"Bungling council contractors install £2,000 lamppost among foliage of dense conifer tree"

I think A.C. Ford sell a bracket for that :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Administration

Without going too much off topic.. a similar thing happened with the Portsmouth PFI (on more than one occasion). In this picture from 2005, there is a new 6m column to the right of the older installation, completely hidden by trees.

Like your example "the householder was contacted to trim the vegetation". However columns have a 40 year life and trees grow, why are councils so stupid, a slight adjustment of spacings would prevent example like this.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 am 
Site Administration

Claire wrote:
Here's some colour footage from 1964, where if you look carefully, you will see some of the flat glass mercury versions, once so common in the City of Birmingham; enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo

Hmm, it looks like then that the GEC Turtles both of the 842X and later 852X series may have replaced GEC Clearmains on the 25ft S&L columns. The S&L columns are older than the Turtles and no doubt would have been installed during the 1950s following the post war rebuild and relighting.

The Turtles then replaced the Clearmains in the late 60s and particularly the 70s due to the energy crisis and the desire to get rid of tubular mercury lamps.

Philips MA50/90s then replaced the Turtles during the 80s and 90s.

Excellent views also of Gamma 2s at the Bull Ring and also catenary lighting in the city centre.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm 
Site Administration

The A42 where it joins the M1 at J23a, is like the M1 at this point, still lit with SOX, but instead of the Philips MA50s with internal gear as used on the M1, Thorn Alpha 4s are used.

Sotonsteve noted when we saw them, that they have the shallow, lower profile bowls compared to the standard ones. They are beginning to show their age.

I wonder how long they will remain, will they soon be replaced by LED lanterns on the same columns, will the columns be replaced as well, or will the lighting be removed?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:41 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Interesting variant.

Phosco152 wrote:
I wonder how long they will remain, will they soon be replaced by LED lanterns on the same columns, will the columns be replaced as well, or will the lighting be removed?

These Alpha 4s are easily slender enough to pass off as LED lanterns - perhaps they should be converted?!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Administration

Indeed and they are group switched, what a sight that must be at dusk.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:48 am 

Alex wrote:
Interesting variant.

These Alpha 4s are easily slender enough to pass off as LED lanterns - perhaps they should be converted?!

I think the same, they should be converted. There are a few MA type lanterns in the East Riding of Yorkshire which have been converted from SOX to LED, which ones I'm not entirely sure but I do think that Chris knows which ones.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:55 am 

Really? I know plenty have been converted to fluorescent, but LED? Wow.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:32 am 

SilverRay88 wrote:

Sorry, I meant fluorescent on the MAs. Its me not concentrating when posting as I host a radio show until 2am so I'm having to swing from my PC to the stations computer so I don't miss a link. Anyway back to streetlighting, saying that though there is a Phosco P109 type lantern located near the North Beach in Brdlington which is LED.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 am 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
SilverRay88 wrote:

Sorry, I meant fluorescent on the MAs. Its me not concentrating when posting as I host a radio show until 2am so I'm having to swing from my PC to the stations computer so I don't miss a link. Anyway back to streetlighting, saying that though there is a Phosco P109 type lantern located near the North Beach in Brdlington which is LED.

Possibly the new P109 LED lantern or a conversion?  Looked on the Phosco site.  Not sure if they do a retrofit for existing lanterns?