It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:07 pm 

I wonder when the fluorescents were removed? As the last time i went to Skeggy was in 2000 and the A52 was lit by gear in shoe MA90's. So at a guess it could have been 1997 when the replacements must have taken place.

What were the fluorescent lanterns, were they SolEturn Juniors at a guess?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 pm 

I've been through some of my old photos and I've found these pictures of some local mercury installations. All these pictures were taken in 1994 and everything has long gone.

The first two pictures are taken on Royal Oak Road in Halesowen. The lantern at the very top of the picture - is it a Z5590? It's got the right bowl but the canopy is different.

The second picture is a closeup of the swannecks. The nearest two lanterns are definitely Z5590's. The next one could well be a Prefect. For those who want to see what it looks like now click here.

The last picture is taken on the A458 near Stewponey. Here's a Revo Belltop with a narrower than usual bowl. This road was entirely mercury lit until 1994 when ZX3's were installed.

Attachments:
lamp1.jpg
lamp1.jpg [ 206.89 KiB | Viewed 41111 times ]
lamp2.jpg
lamp2.jpg [ 180.85 KiB | Viewed 41111 times ]
lamp3.jpg
lamp3.jpg [ 108.17 KiB | Viewed 41111 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 am 
Site Administration

Mike Barford has seen some 80w PL-L Libras on his patch. They actually look very good on those 8m columns. I believe 55 and 80W PL-L lamps are the same length which would make the Libras the same as those used in Basingstoke.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 am 

Yes, 55 and 80w PL-L lamps are the same length. They do look good on the side entry brackets, rather reminiscent of phillips MA90's...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:55 pm 
Random avatar

It's a 'yes' from me as well!  :lol:

Those Libras look really good and excellent to see a private contractor taking more thought over their lighting than a lot of councils do by installing PL-L rather than SON. Brilliant, although the lighting along that road must be very strange now, white, then yellow, then white, then yellow  :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:37 pm 

High Peak Brough Council's ruined Hayfield as 3 of the columns now have roof slates glued to them, well WRTL Stella's replacing the Arc's on painted grey-green columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:36 pm 
Random avatar

By the looks of it my council still have a few MA60's in their stores as a new column went up on the A45 replacing a crash damaged column. Good news as that section must have a few more years left.  :)  There's a mix of old SOX lanterns there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 1,,1,-5.69

This is the column in question that's no more.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:21 pm 

Another classic found in Chapel-en-le-Frith

I wonder if there is anymore floating around in the High Peak?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:31 pm 

That's different - it looks like it wasn't originally a streetlight column, thus the little cap on the top.
But regardless of that, I like the setup... it's not particularly fussy, but neither is it boring like the modern installations popping up as replacements which just look like upturned golf clubs banged into the ground!

It's a top entry MI80 on the bracket, but it'd still look good with a Celest on there.
You can also see the trench in the road that carries the supply cable across from the overhead deployment pole on the left

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:43 pm 

I can't remember if there is any in Bakewell or around that area but it does look different.

Profile  Personal album