It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:20 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

If we can count Tesco's Head Office in this discussion, some of you might be interested in the Thorn Alpha 1 installations that light up their car park!

View 1

View 2

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:12 am 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
If we can count Tesco's Head Office in this discussion, some of you might be interested in the Thorn Alpha 1 installations that light up their car park!

View 1

View 2

Interesting bracket/lantern combo; almost looks like someone's stuck a plastic drinks bottle over a SOX lamp  :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:45 am 
Random avatar

In Romford, I have seen some weird LED lights. I have identified them as Thorn Olsys Street. I will try and get the photos but now; http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/en-gb/pr ... sys_Street
Has anybody else seen these anywhere?

Last edited by Hemelstreetlight on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:12 am 

At the Sainsburys/M&S in Hedge End near Southampton in Hampshire most of the conventional columns have recently been lantern swapped with peculiar LED lanterns.

The first ones I spotted were on 10m columns, and at first glance it looked like an existing lantern had broken away leaving only the spigot, but after taking a second glance it was clear that these were actually new lanterns.

The columns in the photo used to be fitted with Philips HGS203s running 80W mercury. Taller 10m columns were originally fitted with Phosco P426 (MRL6) lanterns running 250W mercury, although there had been casual replacements with Nordex Astra 2s running 250W mercury. The Holophane mercury high mast fittings are still intact, as are the Phosco P426s (and a Thorn Civic) in the M&S delivery yard.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Administration

Not strictly external/streetlighting but Sainsburys appear to be rolling out a new type of LED fitting for internal lighting. It consists of vertical plastic panels which are edge lit in the ceiling void with LEDs. The light is emitted from the bottom edge as a downlight, but as the plastic panels are etched, some light radiates from the surface of the panel for diffuse light. I spotted them in the Kempshott store in Basingstoke, but found this image online of the fittings in another store.

There would be no reason why the same principle couldn't be used for streetlighting, with perhaps multiple "stacked" panels to increase the lumen output, with only the outside panel faces etched to emit diffuse light.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:01 pm 

Sainsburys in Hedge End has had these for a little while now. Quite strange looking, provides quite a diffuse light.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:57 pm 
Random avatar

This is quite common at Tesco and Sainsbury's, but can anyone identify this model of lamp please. I'm making a list of streetlight models for asset creators in cities skylines so I wanted this for a supermarket car park. Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: Shot at Tesco Dudley (requesting the one at the front, not the Abacus Orion in the background)
IMG_20180401_150550039_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180401_150550039_HDR.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 58366 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 pm 
Random avatar

If you look on Google Street View at McDonald's across from the Scunthorpe branch of Tesco Extra, the car park appears to use WRTL LEDs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:12 am 
Random avatar

its_chris_2003 wrote:
This is quite common at Tesco and Sainsbury's, but can anyone identify this model of lamp please. I'm making a list of streetlight models for asset creators in cities skylines so I wanted this for a supermarket car park. Thanks!

It's an AEC Lunoide (although I'm pretty sure I've seen it appear under different brands before)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:10 pm 
Random avatar

JakeB wrote:
its_chris_2003 wrote:

It's an AEC Lunoide (although I'm pretty sure I've seen it appear under different brands before)

Hi, sorry about the long reply. Thanks so much for identifying that one, they're not very common on the streets so I just needed that name so I could start requesting them to be made. Thanks a lot!!