It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Now and then
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:18 pm 
Random avatar

Those lanterns on the old Sweeney still shot look like Revo fluorescents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:17 pm 
Site Administration

A while back sotonsteve found this image of Salisbury bus station believed to have been taken in 1982.

Note the open sodium lantern above the bus. The lantern is of course now removed and the dreaded "SON pak" floodlight is now used for lighting the bus station. However the bracket still exists and another stayed bracket on the corner of another wall shows where another one of these lanterns must have been installed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:35 pm 

This is a road safety film made in the 60's for motorcycles. However, it shows lots, and lots of old streetlight installations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAVx19vOZw

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:25 pm 
Random avatar

Some smart installations in there, including one main road which appears to have top-entry Revo Leicesters (or a similar GEC lantern) and towards the end I spotted what looked like a Beta 3 in a harp bracket.

Nice to see those Stanton 10 columns with top-entry Beta 5s (or similar SOX) looking so clean and new!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Administration

At around the 3 minute point where the railway viaduct is in shot it looks like there are side road fluorescents on concretes. There is a shot behind the biker at 3.05 and i wonder if that is a Revo Junior Sol-Etern as the "connection" to the bracket looks a bit unusual. More wonderful lanterns which I think are fluorescent at the traffic light shot at 4.19. Big main road fluorescents by the newsagents as well.

I don't think those are Beta 3's in harp brackets as the Beta 3 has only a single ended canopy. The one at 7.12 shows refractor panels (dark) and a lighter bowl end. More shots at 7.19 and 7.47 confirm it is not a Beta 3, probably a "Baby Dalek" which are known to have been fitted to harp brackets.

A spot of relighting seems to be going on at 7.57 with what looks like a GEC9454 replacing an older column.

The real gem may be at 8.03 which I think are GEC 9504 SLI lanterns - pictures of which are incrediably rare.

Note the clip position and type and canopy bump and compare with the catalogue here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:59 pm 
Random avatar

Yeah you could be right about those harp bracket lanterns being Baby Daleks. I know they looked familiar, Beta 3 was all that came to mind though. Is that a Beta 8 (or Junior Amberline) outside Toms house in the video?

I think you're right about the GEC Z9504 lanterns as well, they are certainly a type I've never seen before. I presume these fell out of favour because they used SLI and not SOX?

In the comments for the video somebody mentions it was shot in Harrow. I wonder if anybody on here is familiar with Harrow and what lights all these roads now? I wonder if the road with the Z9504s is the A40?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Administration

I did wonder if that shot at the end was the A40 Westway - note blue emergency phone - those are also rare, early motorways had them before they were replaced with the orange type. The Westway was originally lit with Philips (Midlands) "bricks" (see below) and was built to motorway standard - A40(M).

By 2000 it was declassified and the lighting has been removed - actually the columns cut off above the base section leaving stumps - see below, right of pic. EDIT: Just noticed the tower block in both pics is the same...

If those are GEC 9504s it would probably make the road the east end of the M4 at J2. Another vintage picture I have (but not scanned) shows exactly the same type of column and bracket at that location. I don't know what the current fit is at that location.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:18 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

By 2000? I'm pretty certain that the A40 (M) central reservation lighting existed up until a few years ago, albeit ZX3s.

Iridiums on brand new columns light some of the slip roads now.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:35 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
By 2000 it was declassified and the lighting has been removed

It was declassified by 2000, I'm not sure exactly when the lighting went, but it was at or after declassification. When night time shots were shown on this years Apprentice, it was still unlit.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:44 pm 

Declassification of the A40(M), and other motorways in London except the M1, M3, M4 etc, took place in 2000. Removal of the lighting columns did not take place at declassification, and took place some time mid-decade after declassification.

Profile  Personal album