It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:53 pm 
Random avatar
That one in Plymbridge Lane can just be lifted out and touched at the top, if only you had a TNA Impact Wrestler as your best mate! Those ones in Burford Lane look interesting too, thanks for posting.

I found this Gamma while searching through this thread, the google map was for a White Cross Lantern but I span round and found this! Hello there, little fella, where's your mummy?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll ... 64,,0,-1.4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 pm 
Random avatar

Kent International Airport, also known (very weirdly) as London Manston, has these very low SGS201s.

Whilst looking for another example, stumbled across this globe lantern installed on a tiny column

Finally, here's an Alpha 8 MK III installed extremely low in a car park.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 am 

versalift09 wrote:
One low one on a cycle path- http://goo.gl/maps/1f2Yv This used to be an 80w Z8896 which had its lamp pinched on occasion  :lol:

Somebody was probably using it as a source of mercury lamps! :lol:  ;)

--

J T wrote:
I found this Gamma while searching through this thread, the google map was for a White Cross Lantern but I span round and found this! Hello there, little fella, where's your mummy?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll ... 64,,0,-1.4

That column is still like it now, but the bottom has been concreted back again! Apparently they were waiting for a new flange-plated column to be made, must be waiting for the metal to be extracted out of the ground first to make the new column! Most bridges in York have low columns with post toppers on them, as the columns are flange plated and so lower columns are safer.

--

Here's one from Bolton - the column is mounted on a wall and so is quite short. One half illuminates a ar park whilst the other half a footway/cycleway... looks quite wierd from the train.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bolton ... 5,,2,-2.75

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am 
Random avatar

There's this from Seend in Wiltshire, however, after replacement of telegraph poles the installation has since been attached and fitted much higher up.

There were also these in Aberystwyth, but the columns have since been replaced with taller ones.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 am 
Random avatar

Came across this ZX1 and post-top flat-glass Alpha 8 both installed very low in Surrey Quays in South London on Streetview yesterday. There's also this weird Siamese-twin style installation, again installed very low, just around the corner. These unknown lanterns in the next street are on pretty tiny columns as well!

Post subject: Re: Titchy Installations
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:56 am 

I have changed the name of the thread and moved it into "General Streetlighting Discussion" due to the thread being about street lighting installations rather than specifically about lanterns, i.e. about low height columns rather than small lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:58 am 
Founder
Random avatar

You must have read my mind as I was just about to do the same - how uncanny!

Rojojnr wrote:
There's also this weird Siamese-twin style installation, again installed very low, just around the corner..

These are Z1s and are particularly ugly.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:48 am 

Five years ago I stumbled upon this titchy installation. I believe the street lighting on the footpaths of this estate are owned by a housing association rather than being adopted. The columns themselves are quite short, about 4 metres, and the lanterns are main road lanterns of the Tamlite Tamcrest variety. Based on how bright they are at night, I would say they must be 150W SON.

This installation near me is a titchy installation. Originally supporting an Urbis ZX1 and now a 55W Libra, this column is only 3 metres tall. I cannot explain why such a short column was chosen, as other footway columns on this street are the standard 5 metres.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
These are Z1s and are particularly ugly.

Ah, I take it these are made by Urbis then?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

They are, yes. These lanterns are designed to take SON-T lamps, though Andrew Stanley has an 18 W SOX-E version.

sotonsteve wrote:
The columns themselves are quite short, about 4 metres, and the lanterns are main road lanterns of the Tamlite Tamcrest variety. Based on how bright they are at night, I would say they must be 150W SON.

That's insane! Installing high wattages at low mounting heights is a no no.

Profile  Personal album