It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:18 am 

Here's another example of a street lighting installation from yesteryear that has remained almost unspoilt by casual replacements, road traffic accidents or any other misfortune. Such streets are increasingly rare these days, but while they are still around, they offer us perhaps one last opportunity to capture them on film before they're gone for good. For us, dare I say it, slightly older street lighting enthusiasts, these are like a trip down memory lane!

For those of you who thought there couldn't possibly be any streets lit only by Alpha Ones in 2009, think again!

This is the B4483 Vicarage Road West in Dudley, photographed in June 2009.

For those of you who have visited A. C. Ford's in Dudley to buy bits and pieces for your collection, you'll know that Dudley still has a sizeable Alpha One population, but nearly all of the town's installations are interspersed with casual replacements.

Finding this road was a genuine surprise! The street does in fact have a continuous run of about eleven Alpha Ones with no casual replacements, but the large tree on the left of the picture prevents all of them appearing in the same photo.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:55 am 

Here are two more unspoilt street scenes originally posted on UKASTLE II...

Again an amazing sight, this is the A10 Puckeridge Bypass in Hertfordshire with its unspoilt GR200 installation. Although this picture and the next were taken in 2008, a trip down the road last Friday night revealed that nothing has changed in the last year and all the lanterns are still there.

The A10 Puckeridge Bypass photographed from its northern end (and into the sun, sorry!)

The bypass hasn't escaped casual replacements altogether, but they are thankfully out of view of both photographs!

The other unspoilt lighting installation I previously posted on UKASTLE II was also from Hertfordshire...

This is the A1072 Gunnels Wood Road in Stevenage, with its seemingly endless line of GEC turtles!

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:44 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

That photograph of the Alpha Ones is absolutely fantastic David! I cannot believe it remains unspoilt.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:01 pm 
Random avatar

It is indeed a great photo. I even notice one of the columns has been sleeved but rather than fit a new lantern, they refitted the Alpha One! Excellent stuff  :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:25 pm 
Random avatar

I'm in shock at the first picture!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:34 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

And of course the 2nd two photos are brilliant as well. I particularly like the Hertfordshire GR200s which I have personally been past many times on the A10 - they work so well on those columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:45 pm 
Site Administration

Not quite in the same league as David's excellent photographs, but how about these GEC 8526s on Stanton and Staveley concretes?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:03 pm 

That road should be renamed Alpha One Way  because of the successful life the the Alpha One along that stretch.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:39 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
Not quite in the same league as David's excellent photographs, but how about these GEC 8526s on Stanton and Staveley concretes?

I'd say this photograph is just as good as David's - it really highlights an unspoilt road!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:38 am 
Random avatar

I find it very unusual to see all these GEC Turtles as they were all replaced by the early 90s in my area!  :(

The A59 Longton Bypass in Lancs still retains a high number of GR200s however many have been casually replaced, firstly by MA60s and then by MRL6s and most recently, Vectras. Still, a rare sight to see GR200s still in use in Lancashire and on such a busy road as well!  :shock: