It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 am 
Random avatar

Can anyone help me identify the wattage of SOX lamps?  I help run a youth club that has just opened and we have some lights with SOX bulbs, the existing bulbs are old and not working and we obviously want to replace them. The bulbs are stamped "Phillips Sodium" but there is nothing to indicate the wattage and I have been told that we must replace the bulbs with the same wattage bulbs. Is there any way of identifying the wattage from the bulb or control gear? Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Help with SOX lamps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 pm 
Random avatar

Hi where are you based?
If you can get pictures of the light fittings/bulbs it would help alot.
Cheers

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Administration

peter130 wrote:
Can anyone help me identify the wattage of SOX lamps?  I help run a youth club that has just opened and we have some lights with SOX bulbs, the existing bulbs are old and not working and we obviously want to replace them. The bulbs are stamped "Phillips Sodium" but there is nothing to indicate the wattage and I have been told that we must replace the bulbs with the same wattage bulbs. Is there any way of identifying the wattage from the bulb or control gear? Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

It will be written on the gear but be careful as sometimes one ballast is suitable for 2 different wattages. I assume you do indeed have SOX lamps - long U shaped tube in an outer envelope? Post a picture next to a ruler for scale. SOX lamps are different sizes for different wattages so it is easy to tell the rating once we know the physical size of the lamp.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:21 am 

I'll just echo the above - the longer and thicker the lamp itself is, the higher the wattage. I would reckon your lights will likely either be 35w or 55w - the 35w ones are just over a foot long, and the 55w ones are longer than the 35w by about another half

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 am 

35w SOX is 12" end to end and almost 2" diameter.

55w SOX is 16" end to end, same diameter.

90w SOX is 20" end to end, 2ΒΌ" diameter.

The above will depend on the type of tube as some are more pointy at the end.

All SOX tubes have a U-shape inner arc tube within and a normal ''lightbulb'' ''BC'' fitting.

Ebay is the cheapest place usually. I'd look for SOX-PSG (they have a blue lamp fitting) as they're the newest kind and the problem of early lamp failure is almost eliminated with these lamps.

Sizes from 180w to 18w I think:

High Pressure Sodium lamps are significantly different and use screw-cap fittings only.

Profile  Personal album