8   0%  0%  [ 0 ]
  9   0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 am 

Isn't this thread suppose to be closed by now?  :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:41 am 

Yes, but I forgot!! :oops:  :lol:

I'll see if I can get the voting poll on this same thread...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 am 

Right, here are the entries for this month's POTM. Vote for one only, vote can be changed up until poll closing on Sun 31st Jan. Don't vote for your own. vote using the image's number...

Eleco feels the chill... by Phosco152

Vintage Southampton Mercury by Sotonsteve

Group of Thorn Beta 2s (and one GEC) illuminating the end of the road at night by Chris M

Time-switched GEC Z9532M glowing on its own early in the morning by Chris M

It's precipitating on the Arcs! by Alex

Gas Lantern and a blue moon, on the last day of 2009 by mazeteam

Heritage lantern silhouettes during a December nightfall at Lancaster by mazeteam

M1 GEC Turtles by Urbis-Saturn-Land

A country track which runs parallel to the railway track enjoys a covering of snow by Indust

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:

A country track which runs parallel to the railway track enjoys a covering of snow by nick217

This was by Indust not me mazeteam  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:33 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Hey Nick, apologies about that, I've corrected it now.

On behalf of the gallery admin (mazeteam), I would like to say congratulations to Chris M for winning POTM January!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:13 pm 

As a newcomer and the first time entering, I didn`t expect to win, so many thanks to everyone who voted, appreciate it.

In case anyone`s interested, I have quickly prepared a 1280x1024 wallpaper sized version from the original high-res photo which can be downloaded here: http://bulbmuseum.net/soxsnowbackground.jpg (556KB file).

Two of those Beta Twos at the very end of the road were installed only about five years ago but goodness only knows how long they`ll all remain. We have been invaded by two Iridiums (Iridii?) already - one column in this road that got crashed into, and one just up the hill at the end there that didn`t look all that bad and still worked, but got replaced anyway. Might have been corroded at the base of the column. I, for one, will miss them when they go. If they are going to replace them for one reason or another, I`d much prefer the use of PL-L fluorescent lanterns like the Altra or Residium rather than anything using SON if we can`t have SOX or mercury any more. Traveled to Newcastle last week for a training course and saw some of those lanterns off in the distance illuminating residential streets and paths, and thought they did a great job. The larger lamps and neutral moonlight-white light colour is softer on the eye, ideal for residential streets. Can`t get on with the harsh glare of SON myself, and the full cut-off distribution of the SGS252s installed here does not illuminate the road nearly as well as the semi-cut-off Beta Two/Z9532/MI26 lanterns do.

Unfortunately, no sign of anything other than SON replacing Newport`s side road lanterns for the time being. There are some Cosmo / CMH lights in the town center but nowhere else. Hope the little SOXes hang on a while longer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:18 am 

Chris, congratulations on the win, and I totally agree with your views on SON. cutoff SON lanterns aren't nearly as good in residential areas as semi cutoff, but fluorescent would be a far better choice.

Right, well I'll create a gallery thread for 2010 so this picture goes in there... and providing my script works properly, I'll fill in the boxes for that and your pic should be on the homepage pretty soon...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:29 pm 

Turns out I`m wrong about the blanket SON usage around here. Went to visit my brother last night who has moved back to Newport recently, and encountered some Cosmopolis-lamped Iridiums along the way. Not a road I`ve been down for quite some time, and possibly a relatively new installation, so it was easy to miss until now. The whiter light is far preferable to my eyes, although the lamps suffer the same pinpoint-light-source glare as SON does. I think a lot had rear glare-guards fitted to reduce the spill back into the adjacent houses.

Still, it`s a start. Maybe there`s hope for a more widespread use of white light around here after all?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 am 

You can only hope!

I've said it many times elsewhere, but SON really no longer has a place on residential streets. Developments in Metal Halide (including Cosmo) and Compact Fluorescent mean that using white light in installations can be achieved at equal or less outlay that equivalent SON lanterns.

Anyway, after a couple of alterations, I clicked through my script for creating a homepage POTM gallery and it has worked - so your pic is now on the homepage. Also, the clicky arrows have returned enabling you to flick between 2010 and 2009 POTM galleries!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 am 

Further alterations:
The POTM view pane on the home page now has a "max height" and "max width" property set to it, so the pic will never be more than 640 pixels wide or high. This should mean you don't get a scrollbar on that viewpane of the home page as the pane is sized just big enough for a few lines of text and a picture to be shown. To view the images in their native size, you can click the "POTM 2010" gallery tab.
And, despite the data being drawn from the same file, I have made a script to remove the text saying "Here we showcase the finest streetlighting images that we have to offer..... the winning image is then displayed here for all to see." that occurs in the first post of the gallery tab, as similar text was already in place on the POTM (single picture) tab and so the repetition wasn't necessary.

I think I am now finally done with the home area of the site... and I have done a bit of tweaking with the Wiki to finalise layout so bits don't jump around if there's a Global Notice or not. So now I have removed the Global site-wide Notice, so the home page et-al is how it should appear now.

Profile  Personal album