It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:55 am 

I wish I had the day off, it sounded like a fantastic day.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Administration

Over the next few days when I get the time, I will be adding more info about the meeting including details of the Zodion talk.

There was an ex member of Birmingham council who is compiling a history of lighting in the city. Given the Festival lanterns were commissioned by the council and what has happened with the Cambridge Candles, he is very keen to see then saved possibly by listing. This may also ensure that some of the Precincts are saved. He will be contacting Simon C in the future.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am 

It was a very interesting day and good to meet many people from the industry. I hope Graham from Birmingham gets in touch soon; as I think the rejuvination of the remaining Festivals and listed Candles could be done together. (I would suggest new plastic diffusers and fitting of Philips LEDstrips as possible solutions).

Here's the slides. There's no text on them as I ran out of time so I had to "wing" it instead.

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:21 am 

I hadn't thought about LED strips for the Candles and Festivals....
If I had a spare lantern that could be converted, my idea was using two T5 lamps on electronic gear with reflective material behind them. The lamps could be on lockable swivel arms, so equal light distribution would be given by having the arms 180 degress opposit each other but by bringing the arms closer to each other you would focus more light on the road side. Baffle cones would be fitted along the height of the lamp, which could be spaced to allow a tiny sliver of horizontal light between the cones just to light up the bowl a bit (like an Urbis post top globe lantern has) and the baffle cones could be spaced closer together for a tighter light control or further apart to give a greater spread along the length of the lit plane... And the bowl would be clear or at least 80% clear with possibly a tiny bit of diffusing material in it. That was my idea anyway.

I think I can work out the general idea from some of those slides... and my eyes were drawn to the face which is obviously a comparison to facial recognition under White Light and under Sodium light.

Profile  Personal album