It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Proof-reading posts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

This announcement is to inform you that the Admins/Mods will be monitoring posts for grammar/punctuation/spelling and will edit posts we feel have not been proof-read. However, the odd slip here and there is perfectly fine as we all make mistakes!

We are also looking into getting a spell-check which will hopefully help a great deal! Please get in touch with us if you have any queries.

Many thanks :)

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Proof-reading posts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:05 pm 

Interesting, though be careful you don't let things turn all Grammar Nazi as nobody likes that.

Firefox users have a built in spell checker. Any misspelt words are underlined in red.

Should be interesting and hopefully add to the growth of this board, it's members and it's team.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:13 pm 
Site Administration

The reason for "corrections" is to ensure the forums remain professional looking and easy to read. It can be incredibly annoying to read posts that are full of mistakes - although we all make the odd slip - which we won't hold against members.

The site development team would like Ukastle to grow into the lighting website. We won't be able to achieve this if the forums look poor due to bad grammar and spelling mistakes. We have high standards.  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:35 pm 

It will be great if UKASTLE can buck British trends in spelling, grammar and proof reading. The other day I was shocked to see a glossy document relating to an urban development that had a paragraph where the formatting of the computer had obviously failed but nobody corrected it. And Upper Shaftesbury Avenue in Southampton still has two out of three street nameplates spelt incorrectly. Rant over.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:59 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Stelmer, our aim is not to be 'grammar nazi' and we certainly wouldn't want to discourage posts due to fear of being picked on. In the past week some posts have already been edited, however we make sure that a fuss isn't made about it - it is simply discreet.

We are not trying to bring out something negative here. It is something which is beneficial. We thought we'd make this announcement so that we weren't editing the odd post behind the backs of everyone on here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm 

Well the announcements helped me as I'm begining to proof read everything.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:32 pm 

I understand and support the move.

After all, we have finally got ourselves a home which needs to establish itself in the lighting enthusiast's community. Obviously, having a forum with neat posts will make us look more serious.

I was just airing a concern as i've seen other boards become ''too censored'' so to speak. No offence or insult intended.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:35 pm 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
II was just airing a concern as i've seen other boards become ''too censored'' so to speak. No offence or insult intended.

Don't worry, I understand what you mean. I don't think everyone can be strong at grammar etc, and I don't have a problem as long as I can read the message. But I do agree that proof-reading is a good idea in relaxed format. I always do it, unless I have written an essay on here! [Which seldom happens to be honest...]

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:43 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
I was just airing a concern as i've seen other boards become ''too censored'' so to speak. No offence or insult intended.

Honestly, none taken Stelmer :)

At the moment the vast majority of posts on here get the seal of approval so to speak; if you read over your posts before submitting, you should be fine. Just to point out, we are a little more relaxed in the general chat section ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:24 am 

We're not as bad as SOME forums for correcting posts! Anyway, I'm presently trying to find a suitable spell checker that isn't too heavy-going yet not under-sensitive...

Profile  Personal album